How to Record Laptop Audio ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lukaspe

How to Record Laptop Audio ?

Post by lukaspe » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:00 pm

Hi there,

I use a digital mixing console which is connected via USB to my laptop. The mixing console receives 9 mics and sends them to my laptop and Ableton Live 12 for recording. I arranged everything in Ableton and am able to record theses 9 inputs within Ableton.
Now I routed my laptop audio to another free channel on my mixer...and I can hear the sounds being played through my headphones which are connected to that mixer. "But" this channel does not arrive in Ableton. Ableton does not record the audio (laptop audio) coming from the channel of the mixing console. Well, the peak meter does not even react within Ableton which shows me that that audio does not arrive in Ableton.
What am I doing wrong ?
I would like to not only record with that laptop in Ableton...I also want to record additionally the laptop audio, too. The last part does not work somehow.
Any help/solutions would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Regards.

DunedinDragon

Re: How to Record Laptop Audio ?

Post by DunedinDragon » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:06 pm

Without knowing what equipment you're using I'm just guessing. But if you're sending an audio signal to the board from your laptop, that audio signal has to be somehow designated to be routed to the USB output. Otherwise it will not get converted from an analog audio signal to a digital signal for Ableton.

lukaspe

Re: How to Record Laptop Audio ?

Post by lukaspe » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:00 am

Hi Dunedindragon,

Thx for reply. I am using a Yamaha Dm3s as a mixer. The mentioned mics arrive each one by one in Ableton. On my Laptop I have chosen „Yamaha DM3“ as an audio output. That audio arrives also in my Mixer (can hear it through my headphones). I designated e.g. Channel 9 on my Mixer for the laptop Audio ( in the settings I have Chosen „USB 1 to Channel 9)…that works. But as I mentioned…That Channel 9 Audio does Not arrive within Ableton. And I do not know why….
Thx for help.