Pressing Stop Button resets the global scale

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chapelier fou

Re: Pressing Stop Button resets the global scale

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:24 pm

(Edit, duplicate post)
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Télémaque

Post by Télémaque » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:40 pm

scheffkoch wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:05 am
…what is not clear to me: do you use ableton‘s „scale“ device on the tracks?…and if so…are these set to have scale awereness?…
Thank you for your reply, I set the scale on a clip on the device of the tracks. What is not clear, is what the point of having scale awareness if it doesn't keep track of the specific scale of a specific track/device. :D

Télémaque

Post by Télémaque » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:47 pm

chapelier fou wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:57 am
Ok I think I get it @Télémaque :

You use Push to input notes in live recordings. You want Push to be set at a specific scale when you play (and record).
But : the "current scale" (it's a better terminology than "global scale" because THERE IS NO GLOBAL SCALE IN LIVE 12), remains as the last selected clip's scale.
So in practice, when you trigger a clip recording, the current scale might be off, or a "wrong" scale.

That's how it "works", I'm afraid.

THAT SAID :
M4L API allows us to set the scale and the root note. So, I guess someone (me ?) could write a device that selects a given scale when you select a given track. Would it work for you ?

(By the way @Ableton and @c74, the LOM says for scale_name says :
"The global scale in Live is not visible in the Live UI but it is synchronized with Push, and with the clip that is currently focused in Live. Making a clip active in the Clip View by focussing it sets the global scale if that clip's scale setting is ON. This same global scale can also be changed from Push."
Please correct this, you're digging your own grave with this terminology that is feeding the confusion.)
Thank you for your reply. If I remain in the same tracks, the default scale of the track is kept for all further clips, but if I change tracks (on Push) and then go back to the previous one, somehow the scale is lost. Just like in the video. I am also afraid that you are right and this is "how it works" now but then, I honestly don't see what is the point of scale awareness. 8O

Thank you so much for your offer to develop a device, but don't waste your time and energy. :oops: I actually could find a way in my workflow of my live looping session to select (with the mouse) the specific scale on the next track before recording it, so I'll just have to remember that this is how Ableton works now. :( But in my opinion, this is still a huge drawback compared to what was possible in Ableton 11.

Télémaque

Post by Télémaque » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:48 pm

scheffkoch wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:16 pm
"THAT SAID :
M4L API allows us to set the scale and the root note. So, I guess someone (me ?) could write a device that selects a given scale when you select a given track. Would it work for you ?"

...i think this is possible with this device: https://www.soundmanufacture.net/devices/scaleomat

...i've used this device for global scale changes on live10/11 but now i can use ableton's stock device...
Thank you very much, I'll try this one! :D

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:19 am

...ah...i reckon i understand your problem now: you don't have a scale selected on your bass and therefore switching to the bass-clip changes the "overall scale" to "nothing"....but why don't you have a scale selected on your bass track?...you could also put a scale device on this track and when you want to change the scale for a new "song" you could change it...could that be a solution?...i also do live-looping and i do it that way...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

Télémaque

Post by Télémaque » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:17 pm

scheffkoch wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:19 am
...ah...i reckon i understand your problem now: you don't have a scale selected on your bass and therefore switching to the bass-clip changes the "overall scale" to "nothing"....but why don't you have a scale selected on your bass track?...you could also put a scale device on this track and when you want to change the scale for a new "song" you could change it...could that be a solution?...i also do live-looping and i do it that way...
Thank you, I tried it, but I had random behaviour when doing that, because other clips might be triggered, and they would have no scale set, and then it's a waterfall of "default scale to C Major", Bass and then Puck, so actually I found one way. I have to select absolutely all clips in my project, set the scale awareness to the desired scale. And then, no problem!

So then again... I might be missing the point entirely, but what is the point of scale awareness? :D