Any tips for the filter/tagging function?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
mister_kowi

Any tips for the filter/tagging function?

Post by mister_kowi » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:34 pm

Hi,

I can't get to grips with the new filter/tagging function in Live's browser. At first I was a bit annoyed that my VST folder structure, which I have built up over the years, is no longer displayed and so my trained muscle memory is worthless.
In the meantime I've come to terms with it because a tagging system like this also offers many advantages and getting out of the rut is not wrong either.
Now to my problems.

1. I just wanted to organise my extensive collection of plugins, but i get a very, very long list of my plugins. Most of these plugins are from one manufacturer, so I thought it would be easiest to display all plugins except those from the manufacturer to make tagging easier.
Is there such a function? If not, I think it should be added as a matter of urgency (if you prefer, just as a search command such as "!manufacturer").

2. Under the tag group "Devices" in the plugins there is the category "Synthesizer" I would like to expand this category, as there are not only FM, Granular, Physical Modelling, Virtual Analogue and Wavetable Synthesizers but also things like Vocal Synths, Modular Synths etc. I would like to see this category expanded.

3 I thought to myself "Well... then I'll just create my own tag group "Instruments" under "Devices" because the default tags and tag groups are so inflexible and put a subgroup "Synthesizer" in there and in these subtags like "Analogue", "Modular", "FM", "Hybrid" etc..
Unfortunately, it is not possible to define sub-tags for tags (although this is already the case for the preset tag "Synthesiser" under "Devices").

I'm really at a loss as to how to organise things properly here.
At least give us the option to show the folder structure again if the tag system is already so inflexible.
Am I missing something?

What is best practice here? Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you very much!

doubleUG

Re: Any tips for the filter/tagging function?

Post by doubleUG » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:38 am

with VST 3 you can have the "old" folder structure. Make a VST3Preset file and drag it in a folder you want. Then add the folder in "places".
copy the text, open Live > drag in empty M4L device > open Max editor > paste > save M4L device
https://docs.cycling74.com/max8/vignett ... ng_patches

https://doubleUG.bandcamp.com/releases

mister_kowi

Re: Any tips for the filter/tagging function?

Post by mister_kowi » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:51 pm

Thanks for you reply!
You can also do that with VST2 if you group it in a Instrument Rack.

I have now found a way how to sort my plugins.
I created a tag group called "Instruments" and a tag group called "Effect".
In the insutrment group I created tags like "Keys, Sampler, Synthesizer, Drum Machine, MIDI Tools, etc." and in the effect group tags like "Reverb, Delay, EQ, Filter...".

Then I just hide everything in the filter section but "Creator, Effects, Instrument".