Novation Launchpad - Clipcolor when plays all green : /

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
lfo2k

Novation Launchpad - Clipcolor when plays all green : /

Post by lfo2k » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:01 pm

Hey guys, : )

recently bought a Novation Launchpad Mini MK3, and when i play a clip the launchpad changes from the clipcolor on the pad to a green color in order to signal thats a playing clip. What i want is that the Launchpad does not change the color to green, instead it should stay at the color the clip has in Ableton.

So i took a dive in the web and did found a thread where someone figured the following out:

" It's all handled in the control script. You'd have to go into C:\ProgramData\Ableton\Live 11 Suite\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts\novation and change line 36 in colors.py from

GREEN_PULSE = Pulse(color1=BLACK, color2=GREEN)

to

GREEN_PULSE = Pulse(color1=BLACK, color2=YOURCOLOR).

That should successfully make line 54 in this file use the new color you edited in whenever a clip is triggered.

I've read that it's not recommended to change remote scripts in their default location and instead make a copy. I doubt it would hurt anything but if you wanna be safe and work on a copy instead:

Make a new remote script folder called Launchpad_X_Edited with your updated colors.py file and a copy of the skin.py file. Then copy the all the script files from \Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts\Launchpad_X into your new folder and change lines 5 and 6 in the skin.py file to read

from .colors import Rgb
from .skin import skin as base_skin

instead of

from novation.colors import Rgb
from novation.skin import skin as base_skin

That way your new edited Launchpad X script will inherit from your updated colors.py and skin.py files in the same folder instead of the default ones in the novation folder. "

Unfortunately this mentioned colors.py is a colors.pyc on both PC/MAC and if i open it with TextEdit i just get a data mess and dont see
" GREEN_PULSE = Pulse(color1=BLACK, color2=GREEN)" at all.

Is here some Python guy that has knowledge about this stuff?

(On Mac you do a leftclick on where ever you Ableton.app sits, open content, browse to App Resources, Midi Remote Scripts, Novation. There is the colors.pyc)

Edit01: Ok, seems there is no way to "just" edit a "pyc" python compiled file. I will do more research. Maybe some Python expert will be willing to help : )