Video workaround

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bkruppik

Video workaround

Post by bkruppik » Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:22 pm

ABLETON really, really sucks in processing video. I use Studio One, Bitwig and have no problems at all, but when I need to complete something in Ableton I deal with endless problems. I do not know what is going wrong with this company but year after year is it getting worse and worse :-(

Here I have this problem which is reappearing every now and then. When I try to place a video on the track it opens the video window which is stuck in the left top corner. No access to drag it anywhere. The top bar is invisible. Not sure if it is gone, or it is beyond the screen perimeter. I use 3x4K screens running Win10. I wonder if anybody could possibly have some workaround for that because at this point I am unable to use LIVE at all (with this project) and Ableton Tech Support as usual is not responding.

https://ibb.co/Jz26pm2

Thanks

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Video workaround

Post by [jur] » Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:39 am

Sorry I can't provide any workaround, but just to let you know that Support is a bit overwhelmed lately and takes longer than usual.
Unfortunately using videos in Live on Windows has always been a problem.

When you double-click the video it should make it fullscreen. Isn't it working? This should also give you access to the minimize buttons.
Ableton Forum Moderator

bkruppik

Post by bkruppik » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:18 am

Support is overloaded for the last 10 years and is never responding in a timely manner (if at all). More appropriate is to say "support sucks".

No - when I double click it open the Vid window in full screen but I still cannot see the top bar or any icons.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:25 pm

And what if you try with your 2 other monitors disconnected?
Ableton Forum Moderator

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:29 pm

<>
Last edited by Rivanni on Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

bkruppik

Post by bkruppik » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:41 pm

Rivanni wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:29 pm
bkruppik wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:18 am

I still cannot see the top bar or any icons.
Don't expect to see a kind of media player. There are simply no title bar and icons present in the video window.
You can move the window by clicking on the window and dragging it to a new location.
For playback, use the controls in Live's transport bar or navigate in the audio of the video.
Before you reply - please see the picture and read all posts. thank you, but you wasting your time by your posts. I cannot access any controls or the top bar (the bar which you use to move the window). I can resize and drag Ableton window but the Video remains attached to the left top corner and there is no way to move it around.

bkruppik

Post by bkruppik » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:45 pm

[jur] wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:25 pm
And what if you try with your 2 other monitors disconnected?
Yes I have 2 more monitors and I can move the LIVE window to those monitors, but they are on the left and right. The middle one is my main screen and the Video always opens on that screen in left top corner (no way to move it around), so theoretically I could place 2 LIVE windows on the side and have the video in the middle, but this really, really sucks.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:48 pm

Thanks for keeping it civil!
Ableton Forum Moderator

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:33 pm

<>
Last edited by Rivanni on Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:34 pm

<>
Last edited by Rivanni on Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

[erm]
Site Admin

Post by [erm] » Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:06 pm

Serious is.
Ableton Forum Administrator

agamben

Post by agamben » Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:55 pm

@Rivanni, there is indeed a title bar on top of the video on Windows.
And without this bar visible you can't move the video window, which is really annoying,

@bkruppik, I had the same problem a few times and can't remember how I solved it, but there is a way :D .
Try perhaps changing the resolution of your monitor and see if the window has moved ? Or changing high-dpi settings in Live preferences ?

In any case my best advice would be : DO NOT use Live on Windows to work with video, it simply DOES NOT WORK.

I've been struggling with video issues for DECADES (been using Live since V4) and could never get it to work properly with video files, even those encoded with their very specific recommendations, and even after installing their recommended codec pack.

And things turn even worse when you use 4k and/or several monitor !

I gave up the fight - as you say Ableton support is totally useless in this matter - and now use Reaper when I need to make sound for films / video.

niqodreamus

Post by niqodreamus » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:10 pm

Hey guys,
I had the same problem and found this chat while looking for a solution.
I was about to give up, when I just decided to double-click the video window.
Now I can move it again.
I hope it works for you too.
Nicholas