Using Push 3 to record a vocal mic signal

Discuss Push with other users.
beebeeveevee

Using Push 3 to record a vocal mic signal

Post by beebeeveevee » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:10 pm

Hi

I recently bought a Push 3. Great so far.

I have a Rode NT1A mic that I've used for vocals. It's a condenser mic. I previously used it connected to an Apollo Twin, but now want to use it directly with the Push 3.

I know that the Push 3 doesn't supply phantom power, so the condenser as-is will produce no signal. I've also read that the preamps on the Push 3 are 'weak' - i.e. I might need a device to boost the input gain of the mic before the signal reaches the Push.

Can anybody please recommend a device that I can use that make a condenser mic work with the Push 3? I don't want to use another interface or ADAT. The purpose of the Push 3 for me is to have a simple, all-in-one box. There must be a device that adds phantom power and some input gain that I can use in-line, right...? (please say yes!)

Thanks

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Using Push 3 to record a vocal mic signal

Post by [jur] » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:25 am

Plug your condenser in a simple mic preamp; connect the preamp's output to one of Push's jack input.
Ableton Forum Moderator

beebeeveevee

Post by beebeeveevee » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:22 pm

Thank you, Jur.

I appreciate you can't endorse a product or guarantee it works - but would something like this *probably* do the trick?

https://pinknoise-systems.co.uk/products/tri-fet-ph

braduro

Post by braduro » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:09 pm

No, that item wouldn't work. Because you still need to send it phantom power. That's for boosting a ribbon or a dynamic mic while buffering it from the added voltage. But you'd still need something to supply the voltage.

My best advice would be to find a mic that takes a battery. You're still able to use it without one--supply power from a camera--for example, but I think it would give you the cleanest boost, all things considered.

beebeeveevee

Post by beebeeveevee » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:54 pm

Thank you, braduro.

I appreciate the suggestion but I don't really want to buy a new mic if I can avoid it - if I did, I'd probably just go and get a dynamic one as it seems much simpler for this purpose.

Putting it all together, it seems that if I want to stick with this mic, I'd need a signal booster plus something to supply phantom power. This seems broadly right?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xvive-P1-Conde ... b9295c0841

It's a shame the Push 3 doesn't have phantom power.

braduro

Post by braduro » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:07 am

I'd say just use the apollo twin as a standalone preamp (surely it can be configured as such), but you'd need the line out, as it doesn't send out ADAT. So I'm not in love with this solution.

That item does look like it would work. To my point, he's a videographer. Alternatively, see if you can't find a small mixer or a preamp that acts as something you would actually use. If you're doing music, not just a podcast or talking over a dj set or something, knowing what preamp pairs well with the mic that you have will be an asset to your studio.

braduro

Post by braduro » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:58 am

I want to revise my above comment to say go for it!
I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't acknowledge that this is pretty much what I was describing earlier: some means of getting the mic to supply its own phantom power. You'll want the 48v most likely. "T-power" or 12v typically applies to many vintage microphones. It's an older standard. Your mic specifically may also work with 24v

beebeeveevee

Post by beebeeveevee » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:44 pm

Thank you :-) I appreciate the help.

It's only for recording vocals at home (and my mic is already set up with a boom arm attached to the desk etc from my previous setup) so I'm just looking for a fudge that works :D

DoubleWah

Post by DoubleWah » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:45 pm

Searching on Amazon, for phantom power supplies, there do seem to be some that have built in batteries and can be charged from a usb socket, which makes me wonder if you could use one of them and take power from the Push's USB port? I've not tried one, mind you...

braduro

Post by braduro » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:38 am

Neat idea
I think once the battery is charged, there’s not much need for it remaining plugged in. And some battery powered mics are measured in 100s of hours
But the idea could be applied to other 5v devices. The port will both power and send midi for dreadbox synths, for example. Widi hub?
Maybe one day we’ll see usb mic compatibility.

beebeeveevee

Post by beebeeveevee » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:47 pm

Hi everyone

Just in case it helps anyone else:

I picked up the Xvive P1 Phantom Power supply. It's a small box, USB-C chargeable so need for a PSU. Goes in-line between the Push and my condenser mic (a Rode NT1A). I set the input level to "High", and it's working well. Cost me about £50.

Thanks for your help getting there, folks.

braduro

Post by braduro » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:32 pm

tell me, now that you have the phantom power, do you see a meter, however weak, if you choose the line or instrument setting?
You can add up to +20db of digital gain to an input signal, which won't add to the noise profile of the preamp, so you might want to explore backing off on your input gain setting in order to keep your recordings more clean. (hmmm, I'm seeing that Line is balanced, Instrument is 'Hi-Z' which applies to a different impedance, so they may all be genuinely different applications, and this may not work.)

I believe "Line" is true bypass of the mic preamp entirely, at least that's the behavior in other gear, but this might only apply to a balanced xlr cable. In that case, try the cable to your active monitors, for example, and see if that's a workable substitute...

Of course, if you're already getting the sound you want with the mic, glad it's working for you!