Live 12 : Ableton 'hard arm" deselected when another tarck is selected

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BioMech

Live 12 : Ableton 'hard arm" deselected when another tarck is selected

Post by BioMech » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:47 pm

Hi everyone,

In LIve 12, When i "hard arm" a track and i select another track, i noticed that armed track is automatically deselected.
*arm button colored red -> different from automatic arm on selection with button colored pink

This default behavior is different from previous live versions and it is quite annoying when you want to play a track while looking for another one (to look at other tracks melodies while playing an instrument for example) before recording.

I did not find any menu to set it back to previous normal behavior.

Thanks for your help.
Windows 11 - Core i7 13700K - Focusrite Clarett+ 8 pre - Ableton Push 2 - Roli seaboard rise - Ni komplete kontrol S61 - Akai APC40 - Akai APC20

Rivanni

Re: Live 12 : Ableton 'hard arm" deselected when another tarck is selected

Post by Rivanni » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:34 pm

Try my suggestion in this topic.

BioMech

Post by BioMech » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:43 pm

Thanks Rivanni for your suggestion but my problem is different and this solution does not resolve it.

My problem is that live unselect hard armed track when I select another track than the one "hard-armed" (red color).

Previously with LIve11, behavior was :
- you select a track and no track is hard armed, the selected track is armed (arm button is pink)
- a track is "hard armed" (arm button is red), the corresponding track stays armed and other selected track are not armed so you can look at it or do other things while playing midi with the hard armed one.
- if you want to play several tracks together, you have to hard arm theses ones

Now, live changes armed trach, each time i select a new one if it is armed or hard armed.

It looks like a bug as in this case, the "hard arm function does not mean to be useful anymore (no behavior changes against auto-selected arming).
Windows 11 - Core i7 13700K - Focusrite Clarett+ 8 pre - Ableton Push 2 - Roli seaboard rise - Ni komplete kontrol S61 - Akai APC40 - Akai APC20

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:36 pm

That's because you have the Exclusive Arm set to on in the Warp/record/Launch Preferences.
Ableton Forum Moderator

BioMech

Post by BioMech » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:39 pm

Hello, thanks jur. It is not the case.

But i just noticed that it only happens when ABLETON PUSH2 is ON.
Whern my other controllers are ON this is not the case (AOC20/APC40, Komplete KOntrol MK2, SEABOARD Rise).

Maybe a PUSH 2 script problem ?

Christian61

Post by Christian61 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 pm

Hallo,
same problem overhere (I have also a Push 2) on my second machine (no Push 2) it is working as 'before/expected' (as in Live 11)
my workaround is to have only one MIDI track with an active MIDI input (for all others I have 'No input' selected...)
Gear: MBP M1 Max • iMac 27" • Quartet • SSL UF1/UC1/UF8 • Push2 • Virus TI • NI • Arturia / Korg / Roland / SD3 / Omnisphere / Trillian / RMX • Waves / Slate / SSL Plugins • Ableton 12 • Fender Jazz Bass/Strat/Tele • Gibson Les Paul • Kemper profiler

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:21 pm

Are you referring to tracks set to "All Ins" as input source ?
They get unarmed after being selected by Push, and I find it horribly annoying. But as it's the same in Live 11, maybe I misunderstood the issue ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Christian61

Post by Christian61 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:08 pm

chapelier fou wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:21 pm
Are you referring to tracks set to "All Ins" as input source ?
They get unarmed after being selected by Push, and I find it horribly annoying. But as it's the same in Live 11, maybe I misunderstood the issue ?
yes, very strange...
selecting tracks with the Push hardware or in Live with the mouse (which have "All Ins" or "FromPush" as MIDI input source) will unarmed other tracks..

That is not happening on my other machine(Live 12 without Push2 installed, here selecting tracks (which have "All Ins"as MIDI input source) will NOT unarmed other tracks, they stay armed.
Gear: MBP M1 Max • iMac 27" • Quartet • SSL UF1/UC1/UF8 • Push2 • Virus TI • NI • Arturia / Korg / Roland / SD3 / Omnisphere / Trillian / RMX • Waves / Slate / SSL Plugins • Ableton 12 • Fender Jazz Bass/Strat/Tele • Gibson Les Paul • Kemper profiler

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:09 pm

Yeah, it's a Push "feature" with implicit arm. One of the reasons why I "hate" Push.

johnsimmons

Post by johnsimmons » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:46 pm

I finally encountered this issue today and it's driving me batty. This can't have been the way Live 11 worked or I'm sure i would have seen it before.

I seem to remember Live 11 (and 10 i think) that when you switched tracks with the Push 2 you had to long press the button for it to switch to making that track MIDI enabled. It definitely didn't switch whenever I clicked into another track with the mouse.

Pretty miffed that i can't seem to fix this.

johnsimmons

Post by johnsimmons » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:08 pm

I see from this other thread that part of the issue lies in the difference between "manual-arm" with the red color button and "selection-arm" with the pink color button.

viewtopic.php?p=1809277&hilit=arm+on+select#p1809277

Hopefully i'll have the brain power to sort it out later. I never really understood the purpose of the pink vs red feature and now that my setup is more complex I guess i have to put on my lab coat.

EDIT: ... or i could just read the manual. And sure enough on page 762-763 in 31.9 Navigating in Note Mode it says i am wrong! The pink selection arming is (has always been) a Push feature. Thanks to whoever said to change the tracks' MIDI input from All ins and if it is Manual-Armed-Red it won't de-arm when you select another track. Definitely would prefer a switch to turn selection arming on the Push off, but this works for now.

BioMech

Post by BioMech » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:01 am

Hello,

It remains a regression compared to previous live versions:

Bug 1/ it should not stop recording when another track is selected. it should be independent from "colour of arming".

Bug 2/ red arm (hard arm) should allow to continue to play or record hard armed track (only those hard armed) while doing other things on other tracks and should not stop playing or recording. Red arm should only be disabled if you un-red arm selected track.

I opened a support request 18 days ago.

I hope this problem will be corrected soon.

johnsimmons

Post by johnsimmons » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:51 pm

Thanks for making the support request.

So if you're using a Push and this feature bothers you - Ableton unarming a track when you select another and would like to keep the old track armed:

- If you switch tracks on the Push in Session Mode, Ableton will NOT unarm the track you were using. It only happens when you are in Note Mode on the Push.

- OR change the MIDI input on whichever tracks you don't want disarmed from "All Ins" to the specific device you are using for that track. If you also have Exclusive Arm turned off in the preferences, Ableton will always keep those tracks MIDI armed when you switch tracks on the Push. If you have Exclusive Arm turned ON in the prefs, then Ableton will only disarm the tracks when you long-press the track on the Push buttons.

Thanks again to those who pointed these behaviors out. To me it's pretty unclear, inconsistent, and counter-intuitive the way it works currently, but now that i get it, at least i can move forward.

In plain language, what i think happens is:
- Ableton disregards or ignores what you have chosen for a MIDI input when you use the Push in Note Mode. It automatically selects whatever track you select for MIDI input from the Push grid. ONLY in this case with the Push in Note mode, otherwise Ableton will not auto-arm tracks you select.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:30 am

Ok, I just noticed something quite weird but that'll probably help pin pointing out things.

Even in Note mode there's a way to make 100% sure an hard armed track won't get unarmed when selecting another track. This applies when arming the tracks from Push itself:
you need to hard arm your tracks using the hold Rec button+press track selector method

Go figure why but if you hard arm your tracks using the other method, i.e long press on a track selector, even though the result is the same (your tracks are hard armed)... well it reacts differently in practice and unarm other tracks when selecting one.

If you hard arm your tracks from Session mode, both arming method will work and going back to Note mode and navigating tracks won't unarm anything.

Useless to say that the Exclusive Arm Preference should be turned off. But interestingly, if this pref is on and your hard arm the tracks with the mouse on the computer using the cmd+ctrl to allow multiple tracks arming, then again nothing will get unarmed when navigating tracks from Push.

I hope that'll help you for the time being.

8O
Ableton Forum Moderator

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:59 am

Interesting !
I need to test, but that’s a useful discovery. Hopefully this will help to fix it (and in my opinion, hard armed tracks should never be unarmed) as this currently almost stops me from using Push.