"Note that tags have replaced folder groups within the browser’s category labels."

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Psycle

"Note that tags have replaced folder groups within the browser’s category labels."

Post by Psycle » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:30 am

This is unacceptable. I like the new tag system. I really do. But it's far from perfect, I have over 950 meticulously Folder-placed plugins that is integral to my workflow, and I know that I am not alone in this.

You really, really need to make the legacy Folder-based Plugin organization an option.
----------------------------------
www.DistrictSound.com

login

Re: "Note that tags have replaced folder groups within the browser’s category labels."

Post by login » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:35 am

Psycle wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:30 am
This is unacceptable. I like the new tag system. I really do. But it's far from perfect, I have over 950 meticulously Folder-placed plugins that is integral to my workflow, and I know that I am not alone in this.

You really, really need to make the legacy Folder-based Plugin organization an option.
That feature is coming back, Its is already on beta.

Nevertheless a tagging system is more flexible, folders provide a single hierarchical structure, tags allow for many structures.

Psycle

Re: "Note that tags have replaced folder groups within the browser’s category labels."

Post by Psycle » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:27 pm

That's great news! Don't get me wrong, especially as I have been spending time to organize things myself a bit more, I really do like the new tagging system. Even if it is taking a longggg amount of janitorial time. Just didn't seem cool to suddenly outright eliminate a workflow process as critical as that with no option to change over to something so different over time.
----------------------------------
www.DistrictSound.com

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:10 pm

How useful tagging is completely depends on the amount of "stuff" you have. If you don't have massive amounts, there are better ways.

intervolver

Post by intervolver » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:00 pm

The issue isn't about whether tags are good or not, the issue is replacing something that's already working with something new. The solution here and in all examples where this happens is to add the new feature without removing the old and provide an option. It wouldn't be half as bad if the filter system generated tags based on folder names in the tree, but for people with complicated custom setups it's asking you reconfigure everything. It's confusing that folder view was taken away, maybe there is a programming reason, but it's such a basic method of navigating and appears to still work elsewhere in the software. It didn't need to be this way.