Pickup takeover mode not working (tried everything)

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
thewarmth

Pickup takeover mode not working (tried everything)

Post by thewarmth » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:45 pm

It might be something really stupid but I can't get the pickup mode to work in ableton 9.1.1 using an mpd 32.

Pickup mode is selected in the midi preferences. Value scaling doesn't work either. It seems to work with the continuous knobs, but not with the faders.

Any ideas?

re:dream

Re: Pickup takeover mode not working (tried everything)

Post by re:dream » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:10 am

Any scripts?

Value scaling does not work for me but that's because I use my mpd32 with SelectedTrackControl, which does not support value scaling.

Pickup mode works fine.

thewarmth

Post by thewarmth » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:33 pm

no scripts. it's weird. it works sometimes, but not all the time.

If i move a fader mapped to volume on bank A, switch bank B and move the same fader controlling something else, move back to bank A then takeover mode doesn't work and the level jumps.

i haven't figured out the pattern, but then sometimes pickup mode works fine.

Anyway I found a workaround but its a bit weird.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:44 pm

Do you know Selected Track Control? A script for controlling parameters of the selected track that works really well with Akai. I use it, and I never have the problem you are describing.

Dib432

Post by Dib432 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:46 pm

Bumping this thread as I'm having this problem and this is the most recent discussion I could find.

Pickup mode will generally work once immediately after a parameter is mapped to a fader. Occasionally it will work only once after the preference is set to pickup.

Is there any way to fix this?

Using Mpd32, Live Standard 10.1.18, Mac OS 10.15.6

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:04 pm

It might sound stupid, but did you try plugging in your MPD with another usb cable?
Ableton Forum Moderator

Dib432

Post by Dib432 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:00 am

Yeah, I gave that a shot. Same thing, it works fine one time.

Lenticels

Post by Lenticels » Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:47 pm

Just want to bump this issue again as it's still not fixed with the launch of Live 12. Takeover modes do not work with my LaunchControl XL Mk2 controllers.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:07 pm

Lenticels wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:47 pm
Just want to bump this issue again as it's still not fixed with the launch of Live 12. Takeover modes do not work with my LaunchControl XL Mk2 controllers.
Are you using it as a Control Surface, or as a midi controller?
Ableton Forum Moderator

STAR64

Post by STAR64 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:20 pm

Bumping this as I am having this same issue with a Launchcontrol XL. I just bought it and I am having the same issue where for instance:

In factory mode I can change the hardware fader for track 4 from 0 to -12 and track 4's fader on Ableton responds accordingly. I can then use my mouse and move the fader in Ableton, then move tge hardware fader for track 4 again and it changes on screen as expected, applying the selected takeover mode.

However, if I switch to another profile of ANY type and move that same fader, once the fader is moved in the original factory mode, it jumps as if no takeover is being applied.

I have been performing a lot of testing and I have discovered that Ableton doesn't know that the fader has moved and still gives the fader "tookover" status. If you notice (to anyone reading this with the XL) when you switch back to the profile you were using and move the fader/knob, there are never any takeover messages generated at the bottom left. Basically meaning Ableton still thinks the fader is taken over.

If you map another knob on the same controller to the same CC #, you will see this behavior after the takeover has latched to that controller. You will be able to move either knob and it will jump between the knob positions (when set to Pickup, for instance) but you can move the parameter with your mouse, then with the knob and the takeover will latch again as normal...

This seems to be a fundamental problem with how takeover is implemented as it functions this way regardless of controller. At least the same thing happens with my Akai MPK Mini...

Looking at you Ableton, to get us to the next level of MIDI takeover! Give us some options maybe to smooth large CC jumps? Option to apply a constant smoothing factor to CC? These could be things that could be triggered per individual mapping as well.

I must say it is truly upsetting for this to still be a problem with Live dating as far back as Live 8 apparently...

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 am

STAR64 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:20 pm
However, if I switch to another profile
What do you mean by "profile"?
Ableton Forum Moderator

The Rabbits

Post by The Rabbits » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:35 pm

I think I know what you mean. I have a launchkey and the custom profiles don't track the takeover mode in Live.
There is an option in Novation Components where you can select the takeover/pickup mode for custom profiles. I don't remember if it's a profile or an individual control option.