[FIXED IN BETA] Auto-warping split stems

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
neutral

[FIXED IN BETA] Auto-warping split stems

Post by neutral » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:00 pm

Hey there,

I'm using Ableton to create mashups. Generally I use a stem separation tool to take an existing song and split it into vocals and instruments, and then take the stems into Ableton for my arrangement. I can auto-warp on the original un-split track to get a perfect warp 99% of the time, but I'd like to be able to take those warp markers and apply them to the rest of the split stems to get perfectly warped vocals and non-drum instruments as well.

In Ableton 11 I could get around this by:
1. Importing my stems alongside the original track, keeping auto warp disabled.
2. Turning on warp for the original track and auto-warping it.
3. Turning on tempo lead for the warped track.
4. Selecting all stems for this track (which shows the yellow/grey warp icon in the sample detail view signaling some tracks have warp and others don't)
5. Turning on warp. This would cause the non-warped tracks to inherit the warp markers from the lead warped track.

This worked most of the time, and when it didn't I would restart Ableton and do it again and it would work, which made me feel like this was not an intended feature of Ableton and might be a bug that I was using to achieve my goal.

In Ableton 12, it seems that this method was "fixed", as doing the above sequence no longer copies the warp markers to my split stems. Is there a way to do this in 12?
Last edited by neutral on Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neutral

Re: Auto-warping split stems

Post by neutral » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm

!! I just tried out beta 12.0.5b1 and it looks like the issue has been fixed!