How to organize your PC!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
dj fugo

How to organize your PC!

Post by dj fugo » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:17 pm

Hi everyone, i bought two SSD disk and i would like to organize the pc in this way:

Disk 1: Windows + Ableton
Disk 2: vst + projects + sample library

Is it a good choice? Would you have done differently? Thanks to everyone!

MallorcaMalle

Re: How to organize your PC!

Post by MallorcaMalle » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:20 pm

I just wouldn't install VST3s on external disk. Because the VST3 specification defines a fixed directory location where ALL VST3 have to be installed. It is also where Ableton Live will search for your VST3 plugins. They do not take much disk space. Organisation and ordering of plugins must be done inside the DAW software. On Windows that pre-defined folder is:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3
In new projects I only use VST3 plugins and freezed older with VST2, so I barely have any old VST2 plugins left, which could be installed in different folders. Unfortunately Ableton does not yet automatic VST2->VST3 replacement in projects.

Much disk space is mostly required for instruments that are based on samples like for instance NI Kontakt instruments, reFX Nexus instruments. If you don't have big enough system disk space you can install these libraries on additional internal or external disk(s). Native Access and refx cloud for instance allow you to define the folders for their sample content in their preferences.

I'd also recommend some incremental backup of projects, user library and 3rd party user presets on an external disk. Easiest and free-of-charge way for fast and reliable incremental backups: Windows "Dateiversionsverlauf" (complicated german word, don't know how it is called in english Windows). And from time to time exchange of backup disk and storage in a save place decoupled from computer.