Link Sliders to Channels?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Electropocalypse

Link Sliders to Channels?

Post by Electropocalypse » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:33 pm

I'm a n00b... apologies for the silly question.

I saw someone on YouTube using an Akai MPK49 (the same one I just got) doing this. They created loops and recorded them into channels which were mapped to the (faders?) sliders. By doing this, they could increase and decrease the volume of each loop using said sliding-things.

Can something like this be achieved using Ableton Live Lite?

It's all very confusing to me. The way they did it seemed to have a specific instrument tied to each channel (drums, pads, leads, etc). This looks like a great technique for live performance and jamming; something I'd really like to hone for inspiration and creative purposes.

Thank you for your time!

S4racen

Re: Link Sliders to Channels?

Post by S4racen » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:44 am

This is done by activating a controller as a control surface within the top half of Ableton Lives MIDI Preferences screen, I don;'t have any knowledge of your specific controller features however.
Cheers
D

Electropocalypse

Re: Link Sliders to Channels?

Post by Electropocalypse » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:25 am

S4racen wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:44 am
Thank you for the info! It works! It took me a while to figure out where the volume knobs/dials were and I realized it was in a rectangular box that reads '0'.

As well, there's another little thing I discovered - the arm button! That was really giving me trouble but I now I have them mapped to the buttons that light up below the sliders.

This whole process of learning from scratch can be overwhelming sometimes but I'm making progress which is highly encouraging. :-)

It's like the saying goes, that Rome wasn't built in a day. With daily commitment I am sure that I can master this complex and powerful software.

I have two questions I'd like to ask if you're willing or able to answer:

1.) Is there an ADSR envelope for the instruments?
2.) Is it possible to input a default velocity for all highlighted notes?

For the later, I opened the thing at the bottom-right that shows all the notes, hit Crtl+A and I tried moving the amp sliders but they all move in unison. I cant seem to get them to all become the same and I'm not sure if it can be done... I might have to adjust them one at a time.

I ask because my Akai has poor velocity sensitivity and there's no way to disable it. :-/