Clip colors auto-adjust to track-color

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
posssu

Clip colors auto-adjust to track-color

Post by posssu » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:09 pm

I'd like to have an option to make the tracks have a certain assignable color and after this every clip put to that track would get the same color automatically.

Would tidy up Live sets quite a bit.
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

outershpongolia

Re: Clip colors auto-adjust to track-color

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:24 pm

+1111111

This would be awesome, I color code EVERYTHING I can in my Live set..

I've also tried color coding clips based on the "musical color wheel" but haven't gotten very far..
see here: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... olor+Wheel

but I've made by with having new clips be a completely different color than every other clip in my set so that I know what is new and what isn't..

posssu

Post by posssu » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:30 pm

Care to send a screen capture of one of your Live-sets? Would be interesting to see, how you do it (and how people do it in general).

I color code by instrument groups and assign the corresponding clips the same color as their track. But I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it.

posssu

Post by posssu » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:31 pm

While at it, go bump this one too:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... background

Would be really nice to have...

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:15 am

I wish I knew how to make a thumbnail that you could click on. :?

sorry about the quality.
I have my tracks color coded and then my scenes correspond to the clips that are in them. but these colors aren't in any kind of order, they don't mean anything they're just to separate things so I can quickly look up and know what everything is.

posssu

Post by posssu » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:53 am

Thanks!

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:04 am

Here is my +1, since I sequence everything with a 2 colors monome. I wish the recorded clips were directly in the good color.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:09 am

(OT : posssu, your "chansons de cul" are incredible)

posssu

Post by posssu » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:15 am

chapelier fou wrote:(OT : posssu, your "chansons de cul" are incredible)
Oh, thank you soooo much!!! :) Are you French? It would be really cool to hear how a French-speaker hears the lyrics...

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:36 am

Yes I am. I have difficulties to understand everything, but I catch about 60% of the words, and it makes me laugh. The music is cool too, I like the strings arrangement and the voice. Just a negative thing : I find that the voice is badly recorded : a little more compression would have make it more clear, close, and intelligible.

posssu

Post by posssu » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:48 am

chapelier fou wrote:Yes I am. I have difficulties to understand everything, but I catch about 60% of the words, and it makes me laugh. The music is cool too, I like the strings arrangement and the voice. Just a negative thing : I find that the voice is badly recorded : a little more compression would have make it more clear, close, and intelligible.
Actually the voice was actually very well recorded, it's was just destroyed on purpose in mixing-phase... whether it's not a good thing or not, that's probably a matter of taste. But I admit the mixing could've been done very differently, too. I'm not a real pro on that area. The vocals were recorded with a really expensive Neumann (no idea of the model, and an alternative take was taken with some 50-year old mic, don't remember the name)... but thanks, that's cool to hear... we just watched films and took phrases, then we just came up with words etc. We don't speak French, I just knew some words and probably knew them even incorrectly. But thanks again!!!

Sorry all for OT! Now I'll stop!

onestophits

Post by onestophits » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:56 pm

Pleeeaaasssse if anybody knows how to do this let me know. It's such a pain in the ass that new clips don't automatically assume the color of it's corresponding track :/

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:42 am

onestophits: Unfortunately not possible. In addition, it would be nice if new clips were automatically named as well. "1-Beats-1", "1-Beats-2", etc.

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:45 am

+1 would be nice

COBOMOJO

Post by COBOMOJO » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:23 am

I made a program called TrueAutoColor which doesn't run as a plugin but rather as a control surface. It loads your color layout automatically and colors clips immediately as well. And if a clip is dragged to the clip/device area, its parent track also becomes the same color, which isn't guaranteed in Ableton without such a script. And you can choose between using a keyword or the literal name of your choice:

https://coryboris.gumroad.com/l/TrueAutoColor

and if you use this other remote script i made called AutoClip which is free, you can drop a clip and have its parent track be named the name of the clip, and with TrueAutoColor, this would cause the track to also change color. this can make your workflow more organized when importing your own or someone else's stems each with their unique name which still contains the instrument they represent:

https://github.com/CoryWBoris/AutoClip

-C