Performance Pack: Variations Just Doesn't Work

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
madebynope

Performance Pack: Variations Just Doesn't Work

Post by madebynope » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:08 pm

Wondering if anyone else is having trouble getting the Variations device in the performance pack to work?

No matter what I do, Variations just plays back a random assortment of clips, never ever has it played back the variation that I stored. Quick Stash and Recall do the same thing, I stash, make a change and when I hit Recall it's just some assortment of clips.

I haven't found any articles or posts about anyone having similar issues or even issues at all with this device. So, it leads me to wonder what I'm missing. What setting or lack there of could a user be implementing (or not) to make this device not work properly?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Performance Pack: Variations Just Doesn't Work

Post by [jur] » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:12 pm

Did you watch this detailed tutorial?
Ableton Forum Moderator

madebynope

Post by madebynope » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:46 pm

I did yes, multiple times. However, I would not say it's detailed when it comes to the Variations device. It looks extremely simple to use but, the video does not mention any settings that you need to enable/disable etc.

panten

Post by panten » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:58 am

I can get Variations to work but it's REALLY slow (I have a really large template set). But this is a different matter.

One thing I noticed was that the Info View is really useful and got me up to speed with what all the functions of Variations are. Just hover over a button and the Info View panel will let you know what it does.

*edit* Something else to try would be open up the Variations demo set and have a look at how it's set up there.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun May 05, 2024 4:13 pm

panten wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:58 am
I can get Variations to work but it's REALLY slow (I have a really large template set). But this is a different matter.
Did you report this to Support?
Ableton Forum Moderator

panten

Post by panten » Sun May 05, 2024 5:58 pm

I never did as I only tried using Variations on my absolutely gargantuan DJ template set.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon May 06, 2024 1:53 am

panten wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 5:58 pm
I never did as I only tried using Variations on my absolutely gargantuan DJ template set.
It's designed to be a performance oriented device, so it should work flawlessly even with very large sets.
It's actually a known issue, but more reports means we can better evaluate how many users are really impacted.
Ableton Forum Moderator

panten

Post by panten » Mon May 06, 2024 12:59 pm

Ok, that's good to know it's a known issue. I'll make sure to make a detailed bug report when I find the time. Cheers for the head's up.
I LOVE other devices from the performance pack though