Question about midi note programming

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
josefreak

Question about midi note programming

Post by josefreak » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:33 pm

To anyone who has extensive experience in midi editing. Is there a way in AL to play the same note twice at roughly the same time, but with a little offset and 2 different velocities? For example, I have a keyboard key mapped to a specific drum in a drum set vst but I want it to sound like 2 sticks are hitting it at the same time (with difference in start time and velocity), but when I try to draw out the midi, of course note 1 overlaps note 2 and cancels it out. I know I can create a new slot in the vst with the exact same drum and map it to a different key, but was wondering if anyone knew of a way to do this with just midi notes in AL. It would be a shame to have to create a whole new slot and track with the same exact drum just for one little part in a song.

josefreak

Re: Question about midi note programming

Post by josefreak » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:07 pm

Well, I figured overlapping notes was impossible in AL, so what I had to do was map the same drum to a different key in the vst, then copy the notes from the original to the new key. Then I just offset them a bit on the timeline and adjusted the velocity a little different from the original. And because I'm using multi-out on the vst, I have to create a whole new track in AL just for that one small part :lol:

jonljacobi

Re: Question about midi note programming

Post by jonljacobi » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:36 pm

Duplicate the clip on a new track, select both for editing and you can offset to your heart's content.