Should I get an ultrawide monitor?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Dear Ayça

Should I get an ultrawide monitor?

Post by Dear Ayça » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:24 pm

I need a new computer monitor, and since I am getting into Ableton more and more I wanted to choose something that really pairs well with music production. I'm seeing ultrawide monitors being recommended a lot, but of course I don't know how much of that is all marketing talk. I have a little more time before it becomes annoying so I wanted to ask if anyone here has any positive experiences with ultrawide monitors. Is the extra money worth it?

slow.robot

Re: Should I get an ultrawide monitor?

Post by slow.robot » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:44 am

I had one and it was good, but not really better or worse than a normal monitor. imo, the best option is always the one with the largest surface area you can afford (and that fits into your setup). I use a 4k TV now, because it’s way more affordable for a large screen than a comparably-sized computer monitor. only downside is I have to turn it on manually, but that’s super minor.

Rod Underleaf

Post by Rod Underleaf » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:50 am

I use a 50" Sharp TV and it works great...though a 65" curved TV screen would be nice to try...

B4L

Post by B4L » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:45 am

I prefer a monitor that has the same width as an ultra wide, but with more height. (Eg just a normal ratio large monitor or tv). The extra vertical screen space is really useful

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:04 pm

IMO Ableton Live is now hands down the best DAW for dual monitor setups. It has without a doubt the most intuitive setup, completely trouble free.
I would go for two 27-32" monitors over an ultrawide.

Dear Ayça

Post by Dear Ayça » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:33 am

So twas marketing talk after all :mrgreen:

Thanks everyone for your replies, I kindof convinced myself that ultrawide was the way to go (for some reason, monkey say monkey do) so I'm really grateful for the insight. I'll look over some more options, including tv screens as was suggested!