Multi Clip Editing

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Swedish_Llama

Multi Clip Editing

Post by Swedish_Llama » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:07 pm

I'm absolutely loving ableton so far but coming from logic and pro tools I can't understand why such an intuitive/basic feature as multi clip editing on the same track is missing from live.

To elaborate, I mean when you select multiple audio clips on the same track you should be able to adjust the length or fades of all the selected clips at once.

I'd like to have all my production in the same daw but right now I'm considering viewing ableton as a standalone synth/ warping station and moving my main production to cubase as the main arrangement/editor.

I'm sure I'm not the only one missing this feature, having said that live 12 has been great and brought the spark of joy and playfulness back to my production, keep up the great work!

jonljacobi

Re: Multi Clip Editing

Post by jonljacobi » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:20 pm

This is because of the way that Live handles clips which are actually windows showing part of what could be a much larger audio file. This allows you to scroll through and adjust the start/end markers. Something I used to do for comping.

It could turn into a lengthy mess if you're trying to fit other files which could be considerably larger than the clips. The solution is to consolidate the clips (CMD/Ctrl+J) into one new one and then edit. The old files will still be available should you wish to go back.

Swedish_Llama

Post by Swedish_Llama » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:24 pm

Thanks for the response! I think you may be misunderstanding what I'm describing though, consolidating the clips into a single clip isn't really a fix to what I'm speaking of but I think the video in this post best demonstrates what I mean

https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/commen ... ng_on_the/

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:03 pm

Ah, I did misunderstand. Or more specifically, didn't read it closely enough. That would be nice.