Naive question about audio rate modulation

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
chapelier fou

Naive question about audio rate modulation

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 pm

So, I was thinking of the fact that a "x10" toggle was added to the LFO's frequency.
I was wondering if I could simply automate/modulate a parameter with an audio signal. Like, plug a signal directly to [live.remote~]. My tests using an Operator Sine as a modulation source to modulate another Operator's frequency show that it's not working properly. I mean, it works, the param gets modulated, the CPU doesn't go crazy, but the "FM" is not as it should be.
I'm not sure what's happening, if the signal is downsampled inside [live.remote~] or whatever.

I was kind of expecting that it wouldn't be reliable, but I'd be curious to know more about it, technically.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

stripou

Re: Naive question about audio rate modulation

Post by stripou » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:45 pm

also wondering when audio rate modulation will finally be implement throughout, which will honestly make the use of my modular rig decisively less attractive. in the meantime i use the free m4l "audio rate automation".

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:31 pm

stripou wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:45 pm
also wondering when audio rate modulation will finally be implement throughout, which will honestly make the use of my modular rig decisively less attractive. in the meantime i use the free m4l "audio rate automation".
Thanks for the answer, although my point was not to make a feature request, or to ask, "how to do this in m4l ?". It was more "why isn't it working properly ?".
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

notecrusher

Post by notecrusher » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:11 pm

Using audio signals to modulate parameters can sometimes be a bit finicky. It seems like you're running into some unexpected results with the FM modulation when using [live.remote~]. It's possible that there's some processing happening behind the scenes that's affecting how the modulation works.

Have you tried experimenting with different modulation devices or plugins? Sometimes using something specifically designed for audio-rate modulation can give you better results without those strange artifacts.

Also, diving into the technical documentation or checking out forums for your software or hardware might uncover some helpful tips or settings tweaks that could make a difference.