Just switched to new mac and live is hanging

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bray

Re: Just switched to new mac and live is hanging

Post by bray » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:22 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:25 pm

I posted elsewhere, UPGRADE TO SONOMA!
Sorry for the caps, but apparently there was some CPU core schedualing issues with Ventura keeping heavy tasks on efficiency cores causing all kinds of issues with DAWs etc. Sonoma fixes this according to the plugin developer Blur Cat Audio. Here's their post on it.
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Blog/tip-o ... e-silicon/
Thanks very much. I've had quite a journey. I'll post a history of all the various attempts and suggestions that Ableton support passed on. They've been helpful but the responses take time. Yesterday, after everything else failed, I did a reset and it seemed to have solved the issue. It worked for about a day with no problems. But all the lagging returned and now Live doesn't work in any session, even blank new ones. I'm very tempted to try Sonoma but I also use Pro Tools and the chance of PT having problems with a new OS are high. So I'm torn as to whether I should upgrade OS or wipe the new machine and find a Monterey downloader and downgrade instead. Which would of course take a lot of time and require me to re-install all the plug ins again from a migration from the old MBP and scan of non compatible M2 software.That took a while and I'm not eager to do it again. I'm a cautionary tale about upgrading from an intel/Monterey set up to M2 Ventura. If I could do it again, the second I turned on the new machine, I would have wiped the new machine's OS and installed Monterey before migrating all my stuff.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:31 pm

bray wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:22 pm
Machinesworking wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:25 pm

I posted elsewhere, UPGRADE TO SONOMA!
Sorry for the caps, but apparently there was some CPU core schedualing issues with Ventura keeping heavy tasks on efficiency cores causing all kinds of issues with DAWs etc. Sonoma fixes this according to the plugin developer Blur Cat Audio. Here's their post on it.
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Blog/tip-o ... e-silicon/
Thanks very much. I've had quite a journey. I'll post a history of all the various attempts and suggestions that Ableton support passed on. They've been helpful but the responses take time. Yesterday, after everything else failed, I did a reset and it seemed to have solved the issue. It worked for about a day with no problems. But all the lagging returned and now Live doesn't work in any session, even blank new ones. I'm very tempted to try Sonoma but I also use Pro Tools and the chance of PT having problems with a new OS are high. So I'm torn as to whether I should upgrade OS or wipe the new machine and find a Monterey downloader and downgrade instead. Which would of course take a lot of time and require me to re-install all the plug ins again from a migration from the old MBP and scan of non compatible M2 software.That took a while and I'm not eager to do it again. I'm a cautionary tale about upgrading from an intel/Monterey set up to M2 Ventura. If I could do it again, the second I turned on the new machine, I would have wiped the new machine's OS and installed Monterey before migrating all my stuff.
You cannot downgrade new Apple hardware to older OS's.

I would upgrade to Sonoma as soon as Avid says it's OK.

Livnluv

Post by Livnluv » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:26 am

Sorry if this has been answered, but I am having the same issue. Lag hell, running Ventura at 128 buffer and nada. I am updating to Sonoma, hoping this will fix my issue. Not sure how one measly plugin like nectar 4 can bring my whole system on check?

bray

Post by bray » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:58 am

Livnluv wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:26 am
Sorry if this has been answered, but I am having the same issue. Lag hell, running Ventura at 128 buffer and nada. I am updating to Sonoma, hoping this will fix my issue. Not sure how one measly plugin like nectar 4 can bring my whole system on check?
Hi,
It's probably not Nectar. The issue hasn't really been answered but I can tell you where I've gotten to. After trying all the recommended moves above and writing to Ableton support (which i recommend you do because the more status reports they can see where this is happening, the better) I've come to a rather lame solution for now. The only thing thing really helped was doing a reset of Live. But the fix doesn't hold. Live will perform normally for a day, or two and then start lagging again. Then I do another reset and it works. I know this is not a real solution. But I'm in the middle of a really crazy work period and I have already lost a lot of time. I can't take the chance on Sonoma messing up Pro Tools (which does currently work in Ventura for me) and I can't do a full uninstall/re-install of Live which is the last thing Ableton support recommend I do. I don't have custom preferences in Live so when I reset, it's just the drag of re-scanning plug ins and changing the look back. All told, that hassle lasts less than a minute. So I am living with this for now until I am a point in my calendar where I can take the chance to be off line for some possibly uncertain number of hours or days.
Here's how to reset:
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... YKeBH0MFRs

Please let us know if the move to Sonoma resolved it!

Musacha78

Post by Musacha78 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:01 am

Thanks so much for sharing all of this. I have upgraded to a MacBook Pro M3 Max just a week ago. It is running Sonoma and Ableton runs fine on it. HOWEVER…once I connect my MacBook to my Apple Studio Display I’m experiencing exactly the same issues as you described. Audio is all fine but GUI freezes constantly. I have no idea how to resolve this.

I was able to run Ableton on a M1 Mac Studio for a while, and had no problems at all. And also my previous Intel MacBook Pro didn’t have any issues as well when connected to my external display.

Conclusion for now: MacBook M(3) connected to external display (so additional display) causes a problem.

I’m hoping Ableton 12 will solve this :-(

Edit:
....Ok, get ready for this one....

Configuration for all scenarios: MacBook Pro M3 Max connected to Apple Studio Display
Scenario 1: Ableton maximized workspace (double clicked top Ableton workspace, so workspace maximizes) on MacBook display => NO ISSUE
Scenario 2: Ableton running maximized workspace (double clicked top Ableton workspace, so workspace maximizes) on Studio Display (external display) => ISSUES
Scenario 3: Ableton running reduced workspace on Studio Display => NO ISSUES :roll:

Furthermore: I too wasn't able to capture this behaviour with Quicktime screen capture. No issues when running Quicktime screen capture, regardless of scenario....

cids

Post by cids » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:41 am

Make sure to contact Ableton support on this
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

sopwith

Post by sopwith » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:03 am

Musacha78 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:01 am
Configuration for all scenarios: MacBook Pro M3 Max connected to Apple Studio Display
Scenario 1: Ableton maximized workspace (double clicked top Ableton workspace, so workspace maximizes) on MacBook display => NO ISSUE
Scenario 2: Ableton running maximized workspace (double clicked top Ableton workspace, so workspace maximizes) on Studio Display (external display) => ISSUES
Scenario 3: Ableton running reduced workspace on Studio Display => NO ISSUES :roll:

Furthermore: I too wasn't able to capture this behaviour with Quicktime screen capture. No issues when running Quicktime screen capture, regardless of scenario....
I am getting the same result on Ventura; Live's interface very laggy when Live is maximized on external display (LG 4k 27in). Much better when Live is not maximized on external display, and runs fine when Live is on the Macbook display.

Musacha78

Post by Musacha78 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:14 am

cids wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:41 am
Make sure to contact Ableton support on this
I did! I'll be sure to post any updates!

Musacha78

Post by Musacha78 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:19 am

sopwith wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:03 am
Musacha78 wrote:

I am getting the same result on Ventura; Live's interface very laggy when Live is maximized on external display (LG 4k 27in). Much better when Live is not maximized on external display, and runs fine when Live is on the Macbook display.
Thank goodness...I thought I was going crazy... Weird, right?! Good to know it's not a specific Apple display bug.

sopwith

Post by sopwith » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:29 am

Musacha78 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:19 am
sopwith wrote:
Musacha78 wrote:

Thank goodness...I thought I was going crazy... Weird, right?! Good to know it's not a specific Apple display bug.
Hang on (no pun intended)...I just switched the "Main Display" back to the Macbook display in Mac System Settings, and fingers crossed that may have solved it. Even when Live is maximized on the external, no lag at all now.

If you're connected to an external display and have set it as "Main Display", try switching Main display back to the Macbook.

Musacha78

Post by Musacha78 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:12 pm

sopwith wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:29 am
Musacha78 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:19 am
sopwith wrote:

Hang on (no pun intended)...I just switched the "Main Display" back to the Macbook display in Mac System Settings, and fingers crossed that may have solved it. Even when Live is maximized on the external, no lag at all now.

If you're connected to an external display and have set it as "Main Display", try switching Main display back to the Macbook.
Hm, that doesn't work for me... :-(

Musacha78

Post by Musacha78 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:33 pm

Hi, I would like to share the feedback I got from Ableton on this matter.
We're able to reproduce a similar issue in another high-end display with a different brand. However, it happens randomly when a High Dynamic Range on the external monitor is enabled. Lower display screen resolution seems to resolve the issue. But changing the zoom level in Live does not help.
Unfortunately, we're a small team with limited resources here. By the time of writing this reply, I was not able to find the exact display model (i.e. Apple Studio Display) to reproduce the issue, whilst I'm sure that this is an unexpected behaviour in Live from the video and other info you've shared with us.

I've already filed a report about it in our backlog. In the meantime, I'll mark your ticket as on hold. Although I can't tell when this issue will be fixed, you'll receive an update when we have any updates or implemented a fix regarding this issue. Our apologies for the inconvenience.
We emailed back and forth a couple of times, and went through a lot of steps together trying to fix this.

Now I’m hoping switching to 12 will fix this :-|

Celeste V

Post by Celeste V » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:21 pm

Same problem here! And I wrote to a=ableton support and had no response..

Did you have any luck upgrading to Ableton 12? Did it solve the problem?

I have a macbook M3, Sonoma and Ableton 11. Ableton hangs even when minimised in my Samsung external display.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one with this issue..

bray

Post by bray » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:15 pm

Hi,
yes it did resolve in 12!

Celeste V

Post by Celeste V » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:50 pm

wow that's great news! I'll upgrade to 12 then. Thank you very much!