Not what I saved!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Nihil47

Not what I saved!!

Post by Nihil47 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:43 pm

Relative newby to ABLETON here!
Limited skill set; fabulous imagination!
I'm presently writing a 22 songs album of Dark Wave songs. Everything was great, until 2 days ago...
I've got OCD, so my methodologies of how I work remain IDENTICAL. I've been going through each song systematically, I only move on to the next when I've "finalised" it in my head. I'm presently up to song 19, so the early songs have remained utterly unworked on for weeks, if not months.

Same routine: load project, listen through entirely a few times, start work, finish work, play though album, save, repeat...
I've been doing this for months and suddenly, with no apparent change on my part, something odd is happening: I load a pristine version of what I've been working on the day before, play it through and everything is fine... thing is I'm ONLY working on songs 18 and 19, but when I now save it, then reload it all the effects in the songs I HAVEN'T WORKED ON are all over the place!
They sound abysmal and are absolutely nothing like what they were the night before on my final play-through.
It seems to change AFTER I've saved it, which seems, logically impossible!
I assure you, I'm not touching the aforementioned clips at all and they are altering "post save", if that makes sense. I'm working absolutely exclusively on the last tracks, but when I reload my project, songs unworked on have changed sonically, massively.

I've bitten the bullet a couple of times and scrapped the latest version i've worked on and gone back to a pristine older version.
I start again, unequivocal that the early songs are "perfect" to my ear, do some work, play the album CERTAIN the early tracks are fine, then save it and same thing happens: all early songs are again wrong, identically wrong as what happened before.
When I compare versions, all the effects "lines" I have drawn are IDENTICAL, all the parameters are IDENTICAL, just sonically they sound nothing alike although everything seems identical. When I watch the bottom effects rack I see the light come on when the effect comes into play but I don't hear it working.
I know the early songs are great when I start, but awful after I've saved/reloaded.

Can anybody help me with this? All searches I've tried are fruitless!
I'm stuck as I get the idea that if I redo the early songs - which took an absolute age - they'll just reset to awful once I've saved/reloaded them. Absolutely bizarre!

Thank you for your time.

chapelier fou

Re: NOT WHAT I SAVED!!re

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:48 pm

Does it happen with M4L devices ? If yes, which ones ? Or does it happen with native devices ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Nihil47

Post by Nihil47 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:00 pm

chapelier fou wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:48 pm
Does it happen with M4L devices ? If yes, which ones ? Or does it happen with native devices ?
Thank you for replying;appreciated.If i'm utterly honest,i'll have to check,as i assumed what i was using were all "Ableton Standard" effects.To be honest,all my software was loaded by somebody else,and without meaning to sound dumb:i didn't pay enough attention!I'm very new to all sound recording.The effects i'm using have names like "Warm Chorale","Ensemble Deep" if that is any help?!Again,apologies for my ignorance!I'm not using any plug-ins,only the effects that are contained within the section labelled "Audio Effects"..Again thank,you.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:34 pm

I've never experienced a file changing after saving. However, I can imagine that real time effects in sufficient number might be sensitive to where you start the song from.

Freeze and flatten all the tracks, then save as another song, then reload and see what happens.

Nihil47

Post by Nihil47 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:06 pm

[jur] wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:28 am
Nihil47 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:43 pm
[jur] wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:01 pm

I hope someone will have the patience to read through, I don't sorry.
I suggest you to try formatting this in a more readable manner if you want some help.
I have autism,and to be honest:do you not think i'm unaware of my grammatical failing?Of course i am,that is why i apologised.I had a psychotic breakdown that made me forget the entire English Language,how to count,how the calendar works,how to play guitar,and i'm autistic:it's a miracle i can "format"at all.My apology should have been enough:i have a way of presenting that clearly isn't for you;it isn't for me,but it's dictated by an illness that is beyond my control..That was my first post on this site,and it didn't really warrant a pithy comment,let's be fair.There genuinely was no need to make me aware of your patience level,is there?Why do i care?Just move on if my presenting is not for you.And,if you are a forum moderator,i humbly suggest that you have a tad more empathy for people with psychological issues.
I didn't judge you, sorry you maybe felt that way.
You're welcome here, don't get me wrong.
I just know people tend to not respond when things are hard to read.
I'll take a moment tomorrow to re-format your posts if you're ok with it.
Thank you very much for your display of courtesy,and if i may say:cojones!!Yeah,it's an absolute pain having to do things as i do;its just that unless i write information in a linear pattern,it starts to become a casserole of nonsense,and jumbles itself up.Other peoples stuff i can process in the correct form;i just can't follow my own..I never assumed you judged me,and i guess my "case" is a touch unique,but this genuinely is the first forum i've ever joined,and i know you're a "veteran" of countless dweebs and a-holes:implicitly,i'm not one of them!i've always been trepidatious about any public forum due to me being a bit "different" in my "ways".I'm no easily triggered snowflake,it's just your opening gambit was a touch non-inviting to say the least!lol..Again,thank you for your courteous reply,i feel welcome now..I know your intention was well meant;of course you're aware of "presentation",and i know your advice was sound,i just again,humbly say,maybe next time a newbie writes a "cassserole of nonsense" to maybe consider your second approach,which was splendid!And thank you very much if you do change my post:i do need all the help i can get!I won't need to read it again,if it's "normalised",anyway!Again;thanks for your reply:appreciated.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:35 am

Nihil47 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:06 pm
it's just your opening gambit was a touch non-inviting to say the least!
Probably a mix of:
- me trying to wear my moderator's tone for reasons you mentioned yourself
- I'm not a native english speaker

Thanks for your answers, that's very humbling and it made me question myself about my (im)patience and the way I can sometimes express it or not.

I edited your main post since you were ok with this, and cleaned the topic a little bit.
Ableton Forum Moderator