Issue with MP3 audio skipping

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nofiltermatt

Issue with MP3 audio skipping

Post by nofiltermatt » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:04 pm

Hello, I've been using Ableton for about the last 8-9 years and cannot understand the problem I'm having right now.

I use Live for tracks with a band I play in. We have several mixes of break music that are about 30 minutes long each, most of which are in Mp3 format, one of them is AIFF.

I've been using older upgraded intel MacBooks (2012 MBP with maxed out RAM and 2 SSDs). Last year I upgraded to the 14" MBP with M1 processors. I moved to Live 11 and then upgraded to Live 12 recently.

This issue started on 11 and I was hoping 12 might fix it, but it didn't. My MP3 break mixes started "skipping", and the CPU overload indicator would flash. None of my regular tracks used for other functions within the band are having issues. I thought the files themselves might have become corrupted, but they play fine in Apple Music or other audio players.

I thought maybe there was an issue with my external SSD that I keep my tracks and video on (Samsung 970 EVO plus in an OWC enclosure), so I moved them to the local SSD. No change.

I made a copy of my current show and deleted the audio track and created a new one, re-added the files and played them. Same issue. I removed the scene buttons that I use to 'start' the tracks and recreated those. Same issue.

I cannot for the life of me understand what's going on. Its just affecting these few MP3 and one aiff file. I have hundreds of other audio tracks in this show that aren't having problems. I can just play the break mixes in Apple Music or something like that, but that's not a satisfying solution. If this started happening with my regular show tracks, I'd want to know how to fix it.

As of right now the machine is running fully updated Ventura and is an M1 Pro with 16gb Ram, and the aforementioned external SSD. Live *ought* to be able to play a few MP3 files with this setup without errors.

Any ideas?