Encoder concept - does this exist for push?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
grantlandau

Encoder concept - does this exist for push?

Post by grantlandau » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:58 pm

Not sure if this is a super basic question. I have a Push 3 currently shipping to me, so in advance of programming it, I was curious if it has access to a particular encoder functionality to program into knobs / sliders.
Is there a means to program an encoder to return to a default value, or better yet, decay to a default value once the encoder stops receiving input?

A pitch bend wheel is the physical form of this, however the return or decay to its default value of 0 is a product of the spring built inside the physic slider.

I'm just looking to have an encoder sort of programmatically behave in the same way.

It would be great for, for example, having a physical knob assigned to a send, and instead of having to physically return the knob to 0, ensure that it will always decays back to its default value (typically 0).

Thanks!

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Encoder concept - does this exist for push?

Post by [jur] » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:08 pm

Delete+encoder will revert a parameter to its default value... but I understand this isn't really what you're talking about.
You could achieve your effect with the help of maxforlive, but there's nothing natively built in Live/Push's script.
Ableton Forum Moderator

grantlandau

Re: Encoder concept - does this exist for push?

Post by grantlandau » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:23 pm

[jur] wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:08 pm
Delete+encoder will revert a parameter to its default value... but I understand this isn't really what you're talking about.
You could achieve your effect with the help of maxforlive, but there's nothing natively built in Live/Push's script.
Understood - any chance you or anyone reading could point me in the direction of an M4L patch that does this?

I've been searching around. I've now seen this same question posed in a few different forums but haven't encountered a good solution yet.