Re-learning Ableton, Help with De-esser please (additionally, where to place compressor for voice recording)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MarkAaronKY

Re-learning Ableton, Help with De-esser please (additionally, where to place compressor for voice recording)

Post by MarkAaronKY » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:48 pm

I used to be pretty good with Ableton 8 but have forgotten so much due to lack of use these recent years. I'd be grateful for some help in kickstarting my memory.

My purpose is to set up a simple Ableton project for recording my voice for Amazon/Audible audio book recordings. My questions center around de-essing and compression. I think these will be very simple for the gurus out there.

QUESTION 1:
I am trying to set up a simple de-esser according to the many web tutorials out there. Following tutorials, I'm going to the Audio Effects, then Compressors, then choosing the De-esser preset.

The problem is that what I see in my device chain doesn't match any of those in the tutorials out there. Specifically, all the tutorials show an EQ section in the de-esser that comes with Ableton. Following that are the ratio/attack/release settings.

The de-esser I see has no EQ section. I only have the ratio/attack/release. I'd upload screen captures but the image button for this forum just throws some [img] tags in the post and doesn't actually let me upload an image :-(. Did there used to be an EQ section and they just got rid of it? Or do I have something disabled that I don't know about?

QUESTION 2:
I didn't do de-essing back when I played with Ableton 8, and so wasn't aware it's actually done with a compressor. The tutorials I'm following for a basic audiobook recording project call for a compressor in the device chain (ratio 4:1, attack: 15ms, release:auto, makeup ON).

So, I DID use compressors a lot back in the day, but it seems counter-intuitive to be using a compressor for de-essing and then following it up with ANOTHER compressor (I HOPE I have these in the right order?) Seems like if the de-esser compressor I see in all the tutorials actually matched what I have in Ableton 12 (that is, there's an EQ section), I could accomplish it all with one device.

The other de-esser option I've looked at is to use the Multiband Dynamics. I know some people prefer 3rd party de-essers but I don't have it in my budget right now so am trying to get by with what comes in Ableton 12.

Sorry so verbose. TIA for any help.