Stuck Notes - unfixed for years

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bkruppik

Stuck Notes - unfixed for years

Post by bkruppik » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:29 pm

This problem I am describing has been reported to Ableton at least a dozen times. After several years it has not been addressed or fixed. I am already slowly gravitating to Studio One but still have several proejcts for finish in LIVE and when working on them it drives me absolutely nuts when I cannot continue my work.
The reason is THE STUCK NOTES !

I have checked several posts and workaround suggestions but so far none of them work. I used in the last year Studion One, Bitwig, Reapeeer and none of those DAWs had this problem. Obviously it is not related to any VST plugin or library because it randomly happens to many plugins I use.
It does even happen to Ableton stock plugins.

Basically weather I play the keyboard live ot play a midi clip quite often the notes keep playing while there is no midi data. It is always the last note that gets stuck. Program does not react to SPACE key and to stop the sound often I have to click STOP button on the screen several times (one time click has no effect). When I continue working on the project this becomes worse and worse. In worst case scenario it gets to the point that the only way to stop the sound from playing is to shut down the program and restart it. This is as frustrating as it could get. after chasing the problem fro at least 4-5 years I still have no pattern or the easy way to reproduce the problem. Using other DAWs just assured me that the issue is related to LIVE itself and not my hardware, driverrs etc. This reminds me similar problem with the Video track in LIVE which absolutely sucks and has not been addressed for years.

https://ibb.co/4fh4pjd

Obviously ABLETON ignores my messages and the problem and simply remains silent. I have lost my hope that this will get fixed in v12, so I am learning S1 and hoping for at least some temporary fix.

I wonder if somebody has come into some working solution or workaround ?

AKA

chapelier fou

Re: Stuck Notes - unfixed for years

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:26 pm

Sustain pedal midi messages ? They don’t reset automatically.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

bkruppik

Post by bkruppik » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:18 am

Thanks, but ...
NOPE. When I disconnect the pedal the problem does not disappear.
I also have tracks where I have not used the pedal at all with the similar issue. This happens when I am playing live OR/AND I am plying a midi clip. I did some experiment yestarday.

After a clip that causes stuck notes I placed anothe clip with single note and set the volume and velocity to ZERO. That seem to cure the issues. But doing so for so many clips and tracks would be completely insane. In the mentioned exmple I have a project with around 40 tracks and 6 have this stuck note problem. I noticed this most often happens on tracks with Omnisphere, less in Konbtakt and the list with Ableton stock plugins but it does happen within all these plugin tracks.

It is hard to keep track which plugins do not have a problem (I just have them to many). As an example it had never happened to me on track with Serum, Pigments, but it does happen with HIVE2. I really do not know that's the pattern.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:47 am

I mean, the sustain message is recorded within clips. Check midi automation in your clips and look for cc 64.

bkruppik

Post by bkruppik » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:53 am

No, this is not a sustain. I have tested this million times, with different pedals. When the sustein is connected, but not used at all the problem still exists.
It is not even about the recording, because when I just play the keyboard (tested 4 of them) the notres get stuck randomly. Sometimes there are no issues at all, and sometimes it gets so bad, it is impossible to work. I have to then close LIVE, most of the time restart PC, then when I reload the project it works (but only for some time). In those cases (no recording), just playing live, sometimes if I click STOP button multiple times (3-5) the sound stops. Another way is to disable/enable the plugin which makes endless sound. One way or another it is a nightmare.
I am slowly switching to StudioOne. I do not have any of those issues (while still using the same 4rd party plugins, same hardware).
Unfortunately have several projects in LIVE which I need to finish and this non-sense drives me nuts.

Wud

Post by Wud » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:59 am

I have the same issue. How do you view the sustain pedal in the midi clip? Appreciate any help. Thanks.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:37 am

Enveloppes, midi control, cc64