Deactivate Plugin

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
nautonnier

Deactivate Plugin

Post by nautonnier » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:58 am

Right now, disabling a plugin removes its CPU load but memory and latency are kept (presumably so you can A/B without audio glitches). I would like the option to completely shut down the plugin, reclaiming the memory and latency. I don't mind if the audio glitches or even if I need to stop playback in order de/re-activate a plugin.

Rationale:
When I'm in the writing phase, I like to try out all kinds of things and trying out lots of plugins on a track is a part of that. I like to keep these plugins or even whole chains handy in case I want to see how they sound out when I introduce this whole other track I have in my head. Since I can only do one thing at a time, I like the control of being able to come back to things once more tracks are added and see how these plugins sound in the greater context. But I don't like all this memory/latency buildup in my project. The only workaround I can think of is stash the track in my browser, delete unused plugins in the project, and bring back the saved track should I want to revive the deleted plugins. But this is terribly inconvenient. You might say just delete the plugin and re-insert it if I want to revisit it, but keep in mind, I probably made changes to the plugin's parameters that are relevant to this project/track and I don't want to lose that work nor do I want to save these changes as presets.

Moreover, since I do my own masters, I'll have mastering plugins on my master track as part of my default template. Mastering plugins are subtle but tend to be CPU-heavy with lots of latency. So I would like to mix hot with these plugins deactivated. As of now, at mastering time, I have to pull them in every time. It would just be easier to have them in the template *deactivated* and then turn them on when it's time.

diaseis

Re: Deactivate Plugin

Post by diaseis » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:04 am

I'm surprised this feature request didn't get more attention so I'm going to try to bring some more

There's also a reddit thread about it : https://www.reddit.com/r/abletonlive/co ... _a_plugin/

To be fair this is a feature that I strongly need. I'm constantly switching between live settings and mix/master settings. Some plugins create latency and the only way I have to remove the latency is to completely remove the plugins ! As said on reddit, every single other DAW allows this.
Ableton Live 10 64bits, Push 2, Windows 10

phreedee

Post by phreedee » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:06 am

This would be awesome.

I allreadey suggested a plugin browser with the abiility to show the plugin related latency and cpu load to be able to identify the problem cause with the possibility to turn OFF/ON the affected plugins.

...but a simple right click on title bar and "DISABLE Plugin" would do as well. As mentioned before by nautonnier: If this means that you have to stop, I,m pretty sure most of us can get over it. The problem is probably to build in the RE-Enable function so that the plugin maintains previous settings.

Idemax

Post by Idemax » Sat May 11, 2024 2:35 am

Same request here in the past.

viewtopic.php?t=246823

Looks they don't get the need of it. I assume they do it to have each plugin ready to work when in live performances. What I 100% agree.

But have a real OFF would be really handful.

jezric

Post by jezric » Sat May 18, 2024 6:08 am

Ah man... is this really a thing in Live? I recently switched over from Cakewalk (of 25+ years), this is super lame... So I need to actually dump all my main bus plugins to get rid of their latency? (eh hem, Ozone hhem)

Wow, being able to truly disable a plugin without completely removing it is essential... Why Ableton?? There is a difference between bypassing (which is all that's available right now) and disable, it's not rocket science, as far as I know, most other daws have this option...

Disappointing.

reneromero08

Post by reneromero08 » Sat May 25, 2024 1:06 am

I completely second this, I've been grouping things and storing them in current project folder, but this is a work around and isn't straight forward when it comes to how my chains are organized. All these new instruments for the recent update (like we need more) but fundamental things like this are skipped? 🤔

Idemax

Post by Idemax » Sat May 25, 2024 1:10 am

I string believe still in 12 version they may fiz those things. Is the 2o version in a row they add tons of new things and small real daw fundamental improvement. If they keep focusing on randomized live performance only I'm one of the many producers who will consider migrate. I told this past year and back to say again, Ableton is getting kinda out of the path of being a daw.