Clips: copy paste slices to arbitrary places/pre beat timing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
IMage_Engine

Clips: copy paste slices to arbitrary places/pre beat timing

Post by IMage_Engine » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:40 pm

Im not sure if I was away from school...and I have read the manual many times over.

Im trying to set up (reasonably) parallel workflows between DAWs, specifically Live and Cubase as I use them both in diff contexts for each ones strengths but also thats prob most of my clients (and pro tools just exports OMF)

So this is what happens in Cubase (using one of my own tracks for the example because of the really painful cut off of first beat when looping realtime and you are playing ahead of the beat for feel)

ISSUE:
a 2 bar clip has been recorded and the front of the first eg kick has the front missing

CUBASE:
1. I search for an untruncated kick, copy it, go to the end of the clip and paste it just before bar end
2. From bar end to the actual end of the kick, and select the 'handle' ie the reference point of the sample (just after the attack)
3. I go to the beginning of the bar, extend the clip slightly left and paste the kick on the 1.1.0 position
Now the clip has the kick in the correct position
4. I paste the clip and duplicate where necessary, whenever the clips overlap, its sample accurate and because the clip 'handle is 1.1.0 and allows a bit before the on beat so it never misses the start of the clip

This is a workaround but it solves the issue fairly simply

LIVE:
How do you even copy a piece of audio and paste back into the clip to do the above? ie Without mucking around arrangement view?
HOw do you apply particular 'handles' to paste even if it had that?

I have used Live since 2005 but as musical skill and awareness of actual goove develops that has become an intrinsic part of flow especially for clients who are wanting their productions to do away with sterile timing/samples and introduces a lot more played/real human, instrument context

Cheers