Ableton 'spins' indefinitely when turning plug-in folders off

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
scg

Ableton 'spins' indefinitely when turning plug-in folders off

Post by scg » Thu May 02, 2024 6:37 pm

When I turn off 'Use VST2 Plug-In System Folders' or 'Use VST3 Plug-In System Folders' in settings, a spinning circle and a 'Cancel' button appear. Ableton appears to be getting stuck there - I've let it run for as long as 30 minutes, and it's not completing. Cancelling it does work, and turning these settings on (as opposed to off) doesn't have the same problem.

I searched, but haven't found any info on this yet. Has anyone seen this behavior before, and/or does anyone know what might be causing it?

Specs: Live 12.0.2, macOS 13.6.6, 2023 M2 Mac Mini.

Mister Natural

Re: Ableton 'spins' indefinitely when turning plug-in folders off

Post by Mister Natural » Sat May 04, 2024 1:38 pm

I saw a similar "hang" when adding a new plug into v.12. I think it's a conflict in LIVE when encountering a vst2 and a vst3 with the same name. It took me several weeks of trial, error & curse words to just delete one and have the folder load properly.
Best of Luck !
an expert only on what it feels like to be me
& you are who you google
#smile

scg

Post by scg » Sat May 04, 2024 3:36 pm

Thanks for the reply! That's interesting. I tried removing every 'duplicate' VST2 plugin, but it still hangs. But, it's good to know someone else has encountered similar behavior. Maybe I'll figure it out at some point, but as long as it doesn't actually cause any problems, I suppose it can just be considered an idiosyncrasy.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Mister Natural

Post by Mister Natural » Sat May 04, 2024 8:34 pm

Yeah, I deleted the vst3 version of the ikmultimedia ARC4 to stop the spiraling. vst2 works just fine. Fortunate that all of my vst2 .dlls work still ! Hopeful that they don't get out-dated as that will cause my precious/ancient stand-alone Alchemy plug to go away. That would suck.
an expert only on what it feels like to be me
& you are who you google
#smile

scg

Post by scg » Sat May 04, 2024 8:42 pm

If you mean Alchemy as in the (now) Logic synth, that's pretty cool :) I'm surprised there are copies of the standalone version still around!