Group Recording in Session View

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
flerb

Group Recording in Session View

Post by flerb » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:18 pm

Hi Everyone,
i'm not quite sure how to put this, but i'd like to be able to record multiple tracks (Drumset) into one Clip for easy Live Looping with my APC 40 whilst still keeping the individual track recordings for mixing later down the line. I haven't been able to find anything similar thus far, but please do point me towadrs any information i might have missed. Im using Live 9 Standart on WIndows.

Also it seems like Grouped tracks are less flexible in Ableton than for example in reaper, or am i doing something wrong? I haven't been able to put Groups into other Groups for "Bus Compressing" Toms and Overheads individually and together in a Master Group without using the Master Bus.

Thanks in advance :)

flerb

Re: Group Recording in Session View

Post by flerb » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:46 pm

a lil help ? :(

pottering

Post by pottering » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:02 pm

You can't group Groups in Live 9, it is a Live 10 feature.

You can't record into Groups, they are for organization and playback.

There is no need to record multiple tracks into one Clip, as Scenes (and also Group Slot button) already play all the Clips in a Scene (horizontal row).
♥♥♥

RufusDrums

Post by RufusDrums » Fri May 03, 2024 11:57 am

I have the same issue and there is a need… duh…
I‘m a drummer too. So normally you put each input of your drums in one track, for example: Kick - Snare - Toms - Overheads.
You process them individually to your liking. Then you group the whole thing to a „Drumset“ group and process again if you like.
Now I wanna be able to close the group and have it as one channel to be able to resample myself during a live performance and to be able to play different instruments throughout the performance.
One workaround would be to create an extra track to which you send your group output and do all the resampling with that individual track. But for me it would be far more fancier if I Could record to the „group track“. Unfortunately this is not possible atm due to the sole purpose of organizing and automating things with the groups. Maybe a feature request?
Cheers,
Fiete

slow.robot

Post by slow.robot » Fri May 03, 2024 10:14 pm

what would be the benefit of doing it that way? one less track in the session? I suspect the potential downsides of using a group track (meant for live audio processing) to handle both live audio *and* recorded audio would outweigh the upside of a single less track. I'm not certain, but I'd guess there are a number of logistical hurdles that Ableton would need to address to make that workable.