Tip: how to avoid to accidentally copy a clip into the adjacent track (almost).

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
fabiospark

Tip: how to avoid to accidentally copy a clip into the adjacent track (almost).

Post by fabiospark » Tue May 07, 2024 7:22 pm

I'd like to share a tip about a thing I've just found out right now.

Looking for a way to be able to set the record start and stop points freely inside the loop bar and not just at the beginning and end of that,
I ended up using Clyphx free that let me use a midi cc to trigger record ON and another to trigger record OFF.

So I setup a "rec aux" midi track in which I placed two clips: one "Rec start" and the other "Rec stop" (fancy that...).

If the "rec aux" track is ON (not armed, just ON) during playback, when the cursor reaches the start of the "Rec ON" clip, the global record button goes ON, activating the recording on all the armed tracks, and when it reaches the beginning (or the end, if you prefer) of the "Rec OFF" clip, the recording switches OFF but the playback continue. If you have the looping ON, that rec button will switch ON and OFF for each new loop pass letting you comp only in the sections between the two clips.

It worked a threat but the annoying thing was that when I went to change the position of one of the two rec clips, I often ended up releasing it on the adjacent tracks, overwriting what was there. To try to avoid that, at first I setup two empty midi tracks at the either sides of the rec aux one but sometimes I ended up moving the clips to the adjacent empty tracks anyway and the rec start and stop didn't work.

Now I tried and placed two audio tracks as the adjacent ones so if I try to release a midi clip on them it doesn't let me do it, creating a feeling as of the clips movement is somewhat "channelled" into their rec aux track. I grouped all the three tracks together to not loose that piece of configuration and I created a template of the grouped track to be able to recall it easily in any other set.

If anybody knows any simpler and more reliable way to keep the midi clips "locked" into their track but still being able to move them in time I'll be glad to have a look at it.

Thank you.
fabio

Picture: https://ibb.co/JsMJrSb
Video: https://youtube.com/shorts/b3C9-wQXEiw