Push 3 Manual sequencer + OSC control

Discuss Push with other users.
AlexDLarge

Push 3 Manual sequencer + OSC control

Post by AlexDLarge » Thu May 16, 2024 5:08 pm

Hi!

Here’s a little video of the last M4L device I’ve been working on. It’s a manual sequence player for realtime and live performances. The device it’s not yet available as I need to fix a couple of things but I would like to know what you think about it. I’ve also managed to implement OSC messages within the P3 SA so TOUCHOSC is working. I will post more videos in a couple of weeks or so, but OSC within P3 SA is a KILLER feature. Hope you like it and share with me any comments you may have.

https://vimeo.com/947063208/230d68a994?share=copy

Cheers!

Just_Pierre

Re: Push 3 Manual sequencer + OSC control

Post by Just_Pierre » Thu May 16, 2024 6:01 pm

I also replied on the Elektronauts forum. And yes, this is game changing! I can't wait to try this myself, it will be a instant buy.

How do you connect the iPhone to the Push 3 standalone?

AlexDLarge

Post by AlexDLarge » Thu May 16, 2024 6:11 pm

Hi!

Thanks a lot! I still need to do some adjustments but it will be ready soon.

The connection in the video is working over OSC. I've created a OSC device that allows the P3 SA to listen to OSC messages coming from any OSC application. I still need to work a little bit on that and I will release a M4L device, although the configuration is a little bit more complicated as first we need to find the IP address of the P3 SA, but I will make a tutorial. It can work wiresly over wifi and I think that it will work over ethernet too, but I have to try this. Also I need to see if the P3 SA is capable of sending OSC messages and not only receiving them. Is so, it's going to be a killer thing as from the P3 SA you could control visuals and anything, but I need to test it before saying anything.

Allow me a couple of weeks and I will release a Push 3 OSC M4L device with all the instructions.

Cheers!

Just_Pierre

Post by Just_Pierre » Thu May 16, 2024 6:37 pm

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it!

I really hope you can release it within 2 weeks, I'm going on holiday and take my Push 3 Standalone with me. Your device would be a great companion for spending some time with..... :)

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Fri May 17, 2024 8:01 pm

Nice to see that OSC is working properly on Push.
Different matter maybe, but I don't think that makes possible to connect a Monome Grid, does it ?

I'm not sure I fully grasped what was the point of your sequencer, though (no offense at all !). It's a bit like 4 times a Sh-101 type sequencer, is it ? Or does it record the length of notes as well ?
Is MTR like, well the [mtr] object in Max ?

I'm happy to test if you need testers.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

AlexDLarge

Post by AlexDLarge » Fri May 17, 2024 11:42 pm

Actually there’s no length at all. The notes or chords are introduced into the sequencer and the you advance to the next event in the sequence manually, so you decide the time and how long you hold the notes. Let’s say that you record into the sequencer a whole midi score. The idea is to be able to advance to the next notes and chords as if you where an orchestra conductor. You could hold a chord or a note until you decide to advance to the next step. The idea of rhythm is created by the player and not by a fixed tempo. I don’t know if the SH-101 has that option. I haven’t used one.

I think for the grid implementation we will need to wait (probably forever) because in order to translate the grid information serial osc must be installed, and I don’t think it’s possible at the moment.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat May 18, 2024 6:36 am

Thanks for the explanation.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

AlexDLarge

Post by AlexDLarge » Sat May 18, 2024 7:11 am

chapelier fou wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 8:01 pm
Nice to see that OSC is working properly on Push.
Actually there’s one issue with the OSC on P3. When I load my OSC M4L device, it works without problems, but when I exit P3 and start again, it shows a message as if the last session closed unexpectedly. Also, if you delete the OSC device and load it again the system gets stuck forever. This also happens when you load for the first time the patch and then you try to load a project that has this M4L device inside too.

It’s like something is happening (could be not initializing due to load bangs issues), but this is an issue with P3 and M4L