Push 3 Standalone owners: Happy?

Discuss Push with other users.
Machinesworking

Re: Push 3 Standalone owners: Happy?

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:55 am

funkazoid wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:06 pm
Well, push 3 is positioned as an Instrument allowing you to play Ableton live, create music and connect back to live.

When you say should, in my view that is a projection of expectations. The simple truth is that push 3 is released with the functions as they are today and very consistent with the previous two hardware versions. We don’t know if and how it will evolve.

If that satisfies your needs is a different question, same if that represents value for you. For some not, for me it does.

The MPC and Maschine plus are very different platforms. The MPC is a full production platform and is positioned as such. Had it for a while but never really glued with it. It’s a big fellow and mpc live is a lot of menu diving imo, but a lot of people really really like it. Maschine plus is a very nice device but hits max cpu as soon as you start looking at it, sampling is not really easy and controlling the synths is limited to the native instruments macros. That is a personal view, but what I’m trying to say is that both these platforms have their own stengths and weaknesses.
Again, there's no logical reason that Push 3 Standalone with Live Suite capabilities should be less of a sequencer than the MPCs. Yes, that is how it is right now I understand that, it's very limited. I'm just always amazed at how prone to apologetics people are about this with companies like Ableton? Don't get me wrong I like them, but I'm not going to propose that standalone is like it is because push 2 does it that way. That's flatly a silly argument, because Push 2 is always 100% tied to a computer. Meaning Push 2 in it's natural environment is light years ahead of Push 3 in it's natural environment, without a computer. There's nothing to argue about there, pretending you can compare them in terms of functionality without addressing that Push 2 always has access to a laptop or computer is insane. Ableton have talked about getting some sort of way to arrange a song on standalone, multiple time signature support etc. etc. this isn't some sort of gripe they didn't see coming, and they probably were/are already working on it before Push 3 was released.

That said there's one for sale used locally for around $500 off if you include tax, I'm probably not capable of resisting the urge to purchase it. :lol:

funkazoid

Post by funkazoid » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:50 am

What is silly is to continue projecting features and functionalities onto push that aren't there, have not been there and is not being advertised for by Ableton.

Also to say push is limited is incorrect. That very depends on what you are focussed on, and how it fits your workflow. Deep integration of a FM synth, Wavetable synthesis, analog modelling synths such as Drift and analog are not something I find on the MPC. There is nothing apologetic about that, it is sense of reality and understanding where push as a tool can help in your workflow instead of wishful thinking what it could and should be doing. If you are in need of a top of line sequencer, than probably push isn't the answer. The MPC would be a good candidate, but I could think of alternatives as well.

Push 2 connected to a computer is not light years ahead compared to push 3 stand alone.
When you have push connected to a desktop or laptop running Ableton, you have two workflows available to you.
One is interacting with a piece hardware ( Push) which you can utilise as an instrument to play particular parts of Ableton.
Two is interacting straight with the software.

Two very different workflows and interacting yourself with the software is not what Push brings you. Push 3 standalone brings you workflow number One but without the need of a desktop of laptop. It will not deliver you workflow number two.

Also it very much depends on how you work if Push works for you. If you plot samples over time in arrangement view or if your natural start is the arrangement view, than probably push is not the right tool for you. If you like playing notes and you natural start is the session view you could have a match with push.

So, there are a lot of nuances if Push 3 standalone works for you. And if this does not work for you, it does not mean Push3 standalone is a limited product, unfinished or that Ableton is conducting bad business. It simply means it does not fit your workflow or it does not address your expectations ( which could be unrealistic in the first place)

GravityFlow

Post by GravityFlow » Wed May 22, 2024 11:13 am

So far I'm very happy with PUSH3s. It's simply redefining my approach to generate music. No fancy computer graphic animations that distract me from the sounds. With standalone I can be in my hammock at my favorite beach and make music. It's a universe of synths and sounds on my lap. It feels like an instrument in that moment. Like I brought my guitar to the beach. That's awesome. I'm concentrated on how it sounds, not how it looks (and the built-in soundcard sounds really good).
Yes, implementing follow actions in the clip view on standalone would be a great addition. And for sure: I have to adapt my workflow to this 'new' instrument. As always when learning a new instrument.
Limitations are annoying but at the same time they boost creativity. Looking for new solutions to 'old' problems is very satisfying. I implemented a workflow using different midi tracks, routing and built-in midi-fx that is working like a step sequencer with controlled randomness because the usual step sequencers aren't working on standalone. And after some time of trying I get the impression that I never had a better 'step-sequencer'. The melodic and rhythmic patterns are awesome and way more sophisticated than that of the m4l step-sequencers and the usual suspects.
Yep! I like the journey of learning a new instrument and I'm looking forward to the improvements to come!
Push3 standalone, MacBook Pro M1, Live Suite

braduro

Post by braduro » Thu May 23, 2024 3:28 pm

Yes, I’m happy with my push. And I’m happy with the standalone features. I’m not exactly happy with the timing of the expense, but having been on Live since version 2 (seeing the first duos playing on 1), I figured my certification could be a very real thing in the foreseeable future. So instead of being the trailing edge of their push release, I took advantage of an event promotion and swallowed the pill, so to speak.

I can come up with a new idea, approach, experiment every time I sit down with the thing, and I’ve worked exclusively standalone. When I run out of tricks to try, I’ll plug it in to the computer.

It’s not so much feature sets as it is getting natural and practicing with those feature sets.

One example of controller mode being the suitable platform would be if you use multiple tunings. Sure, you could save multiple projects under different tunings, but the controller mode just saves you hours in your short life. There are plenty other examples, but this seems like an obvious reason to not fight it.

My guess is that the controller configuration is objectively more road worthy. I can break standalone. But I think we’re after the same results: stress testing it for performance. So I don’t resent the surprises. I’d rather it happen now, while I’m in the studio

billpayer

Post by billpayer » Wed May 29, 2024 8:12 am

I'm still baffled that we can only select a sidechain input for the compressor from the Push3SA and not any other Ableton devices.
Maybe I'm an unusual case, but I make use of sidechaining really heavily and this has stopped me upgrading from Push2 to Push3.
(Bill Payer|3745 SoundSystem|Chome)

dougtheguy

Post by dougtheguy » Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:21 pm

I’m pretty happy…why? The two greatest things out of the box to me anyway are:
1. The pads - just can’t find better in a 8x8
2. The sound library - top shelf in every way
These two areas together are tough to beat in a similar product.

I have an Akai force. While this is a pretty great device, it took years to refine its feature set. Also, I just did not like the pads. The other is that I found the sample libraries paled in comparison to the Ableton libraries.

Just a note on push missing features. Folks might want to explore adding an iPad to your rig. With Audiobus and an app or two, it can cover some of the missing features like acting as a sync bridge for link to midi clock. No plug ins on push…sometimes i use the Korg gadget libraries on iPad and also they are mirrored on the Mac/pc versions. I like them and they are super easy to use. There are tons of others to choose from. An iPad is easy to mount on a mic stand. You can find an older used one for like $100. The older processors like 8 run audio software just fine.

I expect it will take a couple years for push to get up to speed on some missing features that are no doubt really a pain.

Rixende

Post by Rixende » Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:49 am

Very unhappy. Stability issues are still not resolved after a year. I bought it as a live performance tool. I don’t care about if every feature of Ableton is supported, I produce on the computer, perform on the P3s. In my experience, the more complex your set becomes the more likely it is to crash mid performance, which is completely unacceptable. It is advertised as being capable of running complex Ableton sets, and that is definitely not true. The more complex your set becomes, the stability drops exponentially. Also I was initially stoked about the idea of having a standalone Max/Msp playground. The reality is: don’t even think about running custom max patches on it, it will be a pure crash fest. Support is absolutely useless in helping you figure out what is going wrong. The only way of safely using it on stage is to freeze and bounce as many tracks as possible. At which point it becomes basically an overpriced backing track machine.

Not sure how my computer, which runs a full os with my emails, dozens of browser windows open, all kinds of software in the background, tons of third party plugins and it hasn’t been restarted in weeks, and it runs Ableton sets completely solid, while a dedicated Linux based standalone device keeps crashing.

I check for firmware updates every day. Recently 2.0.5 was released and it keeps telling me “update has failed” when I try to install it. I contacted the support about it and all they have to offer is telling me I should make sure my firmware is up to date. It is comical and sad at the same time. I talked to AI chatbots that were more helpful than that.

AlexDLarge

Post by AlexDLarge » Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:22 pm

I guess it all depends on the final use you want to give to the P3 SA. For my part, the only thing I can say is that I am very happy with it. I program my own patches in M4L and except for those with Max objects that are not 100% supported, I have hardly had any crashes. As a M4L device development platform my experience is that it is solid. You just have to follow some specific premises to program for Push3. For my part, highly recommended.

Rixende

Post by Rixende » Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:21 pm

Of course I did make sure I am only using supported Max objects. And I never went much further than doing basic sample players. The result is always the same: I spend a day or two putting something together in M4L, just to find out that running the session on standalone crashes it after a minute or it won’t even load the set. Support never has any answers and it got so frustrating that I gave up on using M4L altogether.

It has really negatively impacted my musical output, because after I put together something I always wonder “is this going to crash P3s?”, “should I maybe first sync it and test it extensively to make sure it won’t crash before I take the session any further, or is it better to just play it safe and skip the complex parts altogether?”. It is really not a lot of fun working like that and trying to be creative.

Pandamonia

Post by Pandamonia » Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:16 pm

Hey everyone,

I wanted to share my recent experience with the Push 3 standalone, and unfortunately, it hasn't been a positive one. I regret buying it, and I've lost my trust in Ableton as a company. I feel completely let down by the misleading information about the product features.

When I first heard about the Push 3 standalone, I was excited about the possibilities it promised. However, after using it, it's clear that the device does not deliver the standalone features as advertised. It's frustrating to invest in something that doesn't meet the expectations set by the company. Until further updates are released, the Push 3 standalone feels like a failure. I'm done with supporting companies that mislead their customers about product capabilities. I hope Ableton takes these issues seriously and works to address them promptly.

The issues I've faced are echoed by many other users here on the forum:

1. **Limited Functionality**: As Machinesworking pointed out, the Push 3 standalone is very limited compared to its competitors. It's surprising how people defend Ableton by comparing it to Push 2, which always requires a computer. The standalone feature should make it more powerful, but it currently falls short.

2. **Stability Issues**: Rixende mentioned significant stability problems, especially during live performances. The more complex the set, the more likely it is to crash, which is unacceptable for a device marketed for live use. The idea of running custom Max patches is also far from reality due to frequent crashes.

3. **Incomplete Features**: Billpayer's frustration with the lack of comprehensive sidechain input options for the compressor is a critical limitation that stops many from upgrading.

4. **Workflow Limitations**: As funkazoid highlighted, Push 3 standalone might not suit everyone's workflow, especially if you rely on certain sequencing capabilities or complex arrangements.

5. **Support Issues**: The lack of effective support, as mentioned by several users, exacerbates these problems. When firmware updates fail to install and support provides no real solutions, it adds to the frustration.

The list is even longer but I guess this is not a random experience some users have that aimed their expectations too high.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? How are you dealing with the shortcomings? Let's hope Ableton addresses these issues soon, but for now, I'm very disappointed with my purchase so far.

AlexDLarge

Post by AlexDLarge » Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:41 pm

Sorry to hear that. My experience is not as yours, but I hope Ableton will fix at least the major issues. I see a huge potential in this device and more people coming to it instead of running from it.

JamesonB

Post by JamesonB » Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:11 am

I have to agree with all you're saying PushSA should of never been released in it's current state and Ableton and Jesse Terry are energy vampires feeding off all our frustration and disappointment.

Push is the least standalone device I've ever encountered and Ableton should be taken to court for misrepresentation, to do anything ableton live like you need to connect it to a computer and it has so many bugs and problems, it should of never been released in it's current state.
Nothing that it was advertised to do worked as it should of out of the box, it has serious midi sync problems making it useless with external hardware.
Ableton is a software company and their lack of hardware production knowledge really shows with the Push 3, it's like they couldn't figure out how to accomplish the same things in standalone hardware so they just copped out and thought connect it to your laptop.
While the simpler synths like drift and meld are alright to program it's still not great and there is a lot of back and forth between pages, the ux with the touch screen on the mpc with jura is way better implemented. More complex synths like operator are a nigntmare and don't have all the fuctionality of their live counterparts.
Any mpc is a way more capable standalone device than push in it's current state, there is 3 different ways to do essential things on the mpc that push hasn't even implemented yet.
On centercode Jesse Terry said that after live 12.05 was released we should start to see lots of major bug fixes and new features, 12.05 was released last week, so lets see but I'm not holding my breath.
It has so much potential to be great but I've nearly lost all hope that ableton will sort it out in a reasonable time frame.

Pandamonia wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:16 pm
Hey everyone,

I wanted to share my recent experience with the Push 3 standalone, and unfortunately, it hasn't been a positive one. I regret buying it, and I've lost my trust in Ableton as a company. I feel completely let down by the misleading information about the product features.

When I first heard about the Push 3 standalone, I was excited about the possibilities it promised. However, after using it, it's clear that the device does not deliver the standalone features as advertised. It's frustrating to invest in something that doesn't meet the expectations set by the company. Until further updates are released, the Push 3 standalone feels like a failure. I'm done with supporting companies that mislead their customers about product capabilities. I hope Ableton takes these issues seriously and works to address them promptly.

The issues I've faced are echoed by many other users here on the forum:

1. **Limited Functionality**: As Machinesworking pointed out, the Push 3 standalone is very limited compared to its competitors. It's surprising how people defend Ableton by comparing it to Push 2, which always requires a computer. The standalone feature should make it more powerful, but it currently falls short.

2. **Stability Issues**: Rixende mentioned significant stability problems, especially during live performances. The more complex the set, the more likely it is to crash, which is unacceptable for a device marketed for live use. The idea of running custom Max patches is also far from reality due to frequent crashes.

3. **Incomplete Features**: Billpayer's frustration with the lack of comprehensive sidechain input options for the compressor is a critical limitation that stops many from upgrading.

4. **Workflow Limitations**: As funkazoid highlighted, Push 3 standalone might not suit everyone's workflow, especially if you rely on certain sequencing capabilities or complex arrangements.

5. **Support Issues**: The lack of effective support, as mentioned by several users, exacerbates these problems. When firmware updates fail to install and support provides no real solutions, it adds to the frustration.

The list is even longer but I guess this is not a random experience some users have that aimed their expectations too high.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? How are you dealing with the shortcomings? Let's hope Ableton addresses these issues soon, but for now, I'm very disappointed with my purchase so far.