FIREBOX SOUND CARD FIREWIRE !!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hexmoderecords

FIREBOX SOUND CARD FIREWIRE !!

Post by hexmoderecords » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:01 pm

Hello, am I the only one using this little gem.
The Developer
(when I tear you a new ass hole I use)
1 Tascam X9 4 ch, dual efx, dual samplers
2 1200 Decks
1 Denon Cd 3500
1 UC33 in 8 channel mode
w/Ableton Live 5
-presonus Fire Box
-HP DV notebook-14" screen,centrino, 1.6, 1g ram

maxi

Post by maxi » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:34 am

propably not for long anymore as i want to go for one too

like it?

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:37 pm

I've had one for a couple of months

chis

Post by chis » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:00 pm

AAARGGHHH!! XP only! Utter bastards! What about us Windows 2000 users?

Damnit, one of these Fireboxes would be perfect. But XP only!?

*Walks off and sulks*

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:22 am

Ya, it's a nice little box. i've got a couple little issues with it though. No fader metering with the mixer is one. The other thing, is that whenever i turn my powerbook on, the system output level doesn't register properly until you open the firebox mixer. Also the firebox's mixer settings also don't become active until you open it. Everything comes out at max volume. So you gotta keep everything at full unless you want a nasty surprise once in a while when you start itunes or something, unless you can remember to open the firebox mixer every time you start the computer.

Since it controls the system sound settings, it would be reasonable for it to boot up with the levels corresponding to those settings. PC users get this too? Mac users; does 10.4.2 change that?

The other thing is i'm finding extremely low levels with my mic. i've got the input set to max and it's barely loud enough. I had a firewire 410 before and the mic levels were normal. Any thoughts?

cheers,
rob
Professional Shark Jumper.

bitmap

Post by bitmap » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:23 am

My Firebox doesn't seem to play well with either 1) Live 5... or 2) OSX Tiger.
it's a bummer because it seemed to work better with Live 4 and Panther.
Presonus really needs to update it's drivers/firmware to fix the problems... I've already heard a lot of things from people who are abandoning their Fireboxes for other options.
http://dustbreeding.com
http://www.unrecnow.com

alan*

Post by alan* » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:08 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Mac users; does 10.4.2 change that?

The other thing is i'm finding extremely low levels with my mic. i've got the input set to max and it's barely loud enough. I had a firewire 410 before and the mic levels were normal. Any thoughts?

cheers,
rob
im on tiger and I was happily surprised at the absense of big pops and cracks on start up, seems to be good for me.

To boost your input level have you tried using the firebox control app ? Why they didnt just put these boost buttons on the mixer app. i dont know ?

All in all I am pretty happy with it so far although i am getting a funny high pitched noise i only notice when there is no music playing ?
2.16ghz mbp 3gb, motu ultralite

http://myspace.com/indijika

bitmap

Post by bitmap » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:39 pm

yeah i get the high pitched noise too... like when i use the track pad it goes away for a split second then comes back. I've found that if i use the AC adaptor for the firebox instead of bus powering it, the noise is much quieter. it's still there thought. i thing that is a firewire issue with apple.
http://dustbreeding.com
http://www.unrecnow.com

continuous

Post by continuous » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:18 pm

The Edirol FA101 buzzes too....you can use CHUD tools, which comes with OSX, it stops the buzz but the fan runs more often so no point.

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:26 am

alan* wrote:
All in all I am pretty happy with it so far although i am getting a funny high pitched noise i only notice when there is no music playing ?
I had a Firebox and returned it for that very reason... it's to do with the FW port in certain Apple models. I figured it would be pretty unnerving in the long run, so I exchanged it for a Motu Traveler.... Motu just do their stuff right, even though I liked the size of the Firebox better.

robin

Post by robin » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:16 am

Why can't anyone get a firewire audio box right apart from Motu?

(I think specifically of M-audio, Edirol and now Presonus).

maxi

Post by maxi » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:23 am

hmm, i want to purchase a firebox after not getting work at all out of my m-audio fw1814...
i loved the stability of my emagic A62M and the motu's of my friends
i could consider a usb interface, but i need a very low latency... motu's are a bit big for me and i love the more mid-range material..
you know what would be a hit? motu making a firebox-size interface....

robin

Post by robin » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:25 am

maxi wrote: you know what would be a hit? motu making a firebox-size interface....
yes exactly. i'd be on it straight away... i don't mind the motu prices but the traveller is a little big for me.

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:41 pm

FORMAT wrote:
alan* wrote:
I had a Firebox and returned it for that very reason... it's to do with the FW port in certain Apple models. I figured it would be pretty unnerving in the long run, so I exchanged it for a Motu Traveler.... Motu just do their stuff right, even though I liked the size of the Firebox better.
Any ideas what models and/or articles to substantiate this ?
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:49 pm

Mbazzy wrote:
FORMAT wrote:
alan* wrote:
Any ideas what models and/or articles to substantiate this ?
Maybe get in touch with Prosonus.... according to them, it's the Apple FW hardware in certain lines that's faulty... and they've been in touch with Apple, apparently. Let us know if you find out more.