apple soundtrack pro...anyone?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
grainshifter

apple soundtrack pro...anyone?

Post by grainshifter » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:15 am

since switching from PC desktop to MAC laptop,
and acquring live 5...i feel my musical process has taken a quantum leap

however...

i really miss soundforge
:cry:

so far i've been using DSP quattro, which is hmmmm OK

but lately i've been eyeing apple's SOUNDTRACK PRO...

any macheads own this software?
and can vouch for it as a viable waveform editor?

thanks in advance as always!!
inspiration. fingers. LIVE 7

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:09 am

well i can't say i own soundtrack, however i do own logic pro, and since soundtrack pro comes with all of logic's effect plug-ins, i can tell you that those are quite good, especially space designer. (for 300 bucks you get a reverb that was over 500 when it came out -only usable in the program of course though).
Also, i know it does edit-in-place audiosuite style processing. ie, you can apply an effect to a certain part of your track without having the effect there permanently taking up cpu power, and without having to bounce and re-import. Sort of like audiosuite in protools. that's cool too, i wish logic had it.

good luck,
rob
Professional Shark Jumper.

grainshifter

Post by grainshifter » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:43 am

thanks for the response...sounds good. yeah i would love to own logic 7 one day...but for now i'm looking for a good waveform editor with some extra goodies/plug ins...

so would i be able to use soundtrack pro as my offline sample editor in live? as well as the plug ins?

that would be sweet...

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:54 am

grainshifter wrote: so would i be able to use soundtrack pro as my offline sample editor in live? as well as the plug ins?
yep, thats what i do.

grainshifter

Post by grainshifter » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:02 am

ok!

should i just get the software?
or is there something else out there that i should be looking at?

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:08 am

well its great, but its not soundforge.
its more powerful than DSP Quattro, and the effects are extremely good. but i hope you aren't expecting ST Pro to be the Soundforge for Mac, its not. its great in its own right however and certainly worth the money.

so i say if you are really missing soundforge, get a cheap PC and run Soundforge.
if you are ready to move on (and up!), get ST Pro. but prepare for a month or two of growing pains.

grainshifter

Post by grainshifter » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:33 am

thanks adamjay...you're comments are always thoughtful and i feel honored that you've responded twice to my post :oops:

well i still have soundforge on my old pc desktop, but yeah, kinda wanted something on my PB for that portability factor...since soundforge does not plan to adapt a version for MAC daddies, i am totally open to something different, and towards the same purpose...which is why i made the switch anyways

im kinda leaning towards it now...but still, more comment are welcome

thanks all!

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:38 am

I'm using Peak. I tried Quattro DSP, but found it a little 'lite' I'm not familiar with Soundforge, but Peak does everything I need, including using any VSTs/AUs you want to incorporate.

It is so easy to just hit the Edit button in Live, Peak fires up with your track/sample in place, do your edit, save, close, it's there in Live ready to use!

I do this on virtually every track to add 3-4 seconds of silence at the beginning (it helps autowarp to work a whole lot better), and the whole process takes about 15 seconds from hitting the Edit button to being right back in Live with the edited waveform.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:40 pm

Adamjay:

I got soundtrack pro recently but have not had the chance to sit down with. Do you know if this has the same feature as peak (easy switching between two devices,like hambone1 has stated) or if it is in fact better at editing precisely?

Hambone1, AdamJay, anyone:

Do you know if there is anything that I might totally miss out on if I got the LE5 version? I already have Logic pro 7 and I don't like soundsoap. I mostly want to know if the ability to edit out elemnts is there. MOst of the other encutriments I think I already have in Logic...?!

swpspce

Post by swpspce » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:10 pm

LOFA wrote:Adamjay:

I got soundtrack pro recently but have not had the chance to sit down with. Do you know if this has the same feature as peak (easy switching between two devices,like hambone1 has stated) or if it is in fact better at editing precisely?

Hambone1, AdamJay, anyone:

Do you know if there is anything that I might totally miss out on if I got the LE5 version? I already have Logic pro 7 and I don't like soundsoap. I mostly want to know if the ability to edit out elemnts is there. MOst of the other encutriments I think I already have in Logic...?!
through personal experience - I would stick with soundsoap (or pro) compared to soundtrack pro.

we initially bought soundtrack pro for its "cleaning" abilities - the results were mediocre and the process took a long time as compared to using soundsoap...

we got better results in a thrid of the time it took in soundtrack pro - what we were doing removing noise from narrated field recordings... we also have soundsoap pro
Apple PowerBook 12" 1Ghz 512mb Ram...ReMOTE 25, Live 4 beta 4, Kontakt, Reaktor

evil11

Post by evil11 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:14 pm

Soundtrack Pro is a great Sample Editor mit some of the Logic Pro Plugins. The Match EQ and the Verb are really great. For Noisereduction i prefert SoundSoap, too.
I have used Wavelab on the PC, but i like Soundtrack better!