{OT} Why is America so obsessed with Iraq?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
claudek

{OT} Why is America so obsessed with Iraq?

Post by claudek » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:23 pm

It gets on my nerves that everyday I read the news there is always something about how America is so concerened and obsessed with Iraq. I am very well aware that America started war with them but why now is it that American news is so obsessed with their structure, voting system etc.. It is annoying me..
So many countries and things going ..on why Iraq?
Mac G4 Quicksilver 1000GHz / Motu 828 /OSX 10.3.9
&
Mac Ibook G4 800GHz OSX 10.3.9 /Core Audio/M Audio Oxy 8
PC: ASUS 2.8 GHz P4 / XP

Live 5.02

Chris J

Re: {OT} Why is America so obsessed with Iraq?

Post by Chris J » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:41 pm

claudek wrote: I am very well aware that America started war with them
good, because that's a good start to undertand why.
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

Nod

Post by Nod » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:47 pm

claudek wrote:It gets on my nerves that everyday I read the news there is always something about how America is so concerened and obsessed with Iraq. I am very well aware that America started war with them but why now is it that American news is so obsessed with their structure, voting system etc.. It is annoying me.. So many countries and things going ..on why Iraq?
A strange question - and probably well outside the scope of this forum.

Read this : http://www.globalpolicy.org/nations/sov ... /03oil.htm

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:48 pm

OK, forgetting about WMD, I agree we should have gotten rid of Saddam. He was going to become a bigger and bigger threat as time went on. But, after that, fine..stay there a few months, give them some advice and a starting point on a new government. After that, we should have been outta there long ago. It's creating resentment now. We are dumping more and more money into a country who is resenting us the more we try to help and tell them what to do. Maybe the longer we stay the more people are tempted to become a terrorist. It's a vicious cycle. It's gone too far.

elektrovert

Post by elektrovert » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:52 pm

It's all about oil.
If Bush really gave a crap about peoples freedom or WMD he should be looking at North Korea. Iraq is a paradise compared to that place.

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:07 pm

icedsushi wrote:OK, forgetting about WMD, I agree we should have gotten rid of Saddam. He was going to become a bigger and bigger threat as time went on. But, after that, fine..stay there a few months, give them some advice and a starting point on a new government. After that, we should have been outta there long ago. It's creating resentment now. We are dumping more and more money into a country who is resenting us the more we try to help and tell them what to do. Maybe the longer we stay the more people are tempted to become a terrorist. It's a vicious cycle. It's gone too far.
stupid question, stupid answer

some advice ? creating resentment NOW ?

Nod

Post by Nod » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:22 pm

milfbait

Post by milfbait » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:25 pm

elektrovert wrote:It's all about oil.
If Bush really gave a crap about peoples freedom or WMD he should be looking at North Korea. Iraq is a paradise compared to that place.
You mean WAS a paradise. Now it's completely fucked, total anarchy. At least under Saddamn there was security and stability. He did a better job at running it than america has. For some reason, I don't think the whole democracy thing is going to work quite as the war mongers had expected.

Yes, I agree, North Korea is far more dangerous than Saddam ever could be. But the US didn't go to war because of any threat Saddam posed.

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:42 pm

precise, informative and depressing

protocol

Post by protocol » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:59 pm

icedsushi wrote:agree we should have gotten rid of Saddam. He was going to become a bigger and bigger threat as time went on.
Bigger and bigger threat?

The only thing that got bigger was the area controlled by us and british air force in the years before the attack. Ah, and the resistance against the embargo grew worldwide, because absolutely not responsible iraquis died and suffered from this too much!

Oh well, russian and french companies as well as the countries themselves (which is more or less the same in russia when it comes to oil) had actual and forthcoming oil contracts with Iraq. It is not surprising that these countries did a lot to avoid the war.

Please, lovely people, forget about the shit you see in telly.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:05 pm

So you guys are saying saddam wasn't a threat to anybody? :lol:

Ok, so I don't follow these debates blow by blow but c'mon.
Last edited by icedsushi on Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:06 pm

claudek wrote:It gets on my nerves that everyday I read the news ..on why Iraq?

it's kinda like a giant sale that never ends eh?

pehaps a used car lot

they figure if they keep forcing it down our throats we won't realize
exactly how deep the bullshit goes...plus it provides a nice distraction from all the other things the current administration is mucking up

D K

Post by D K » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:10 pm

which america are you talking about?
as an american, i can provide you with a couple facts:
i personally know of of only one person who is for what is happening.
no matter how much we vote, protest, or take action, it doesn't make a difference.
it's out of our control...
other facts: the military recruiting offices for the most part are empty.
the media is controlled by money.
the lobbyists who make the laws are controlled by corporate funding.
it's all about big business...the bushs' are an oil-business family.
they fucked up and are trying to justify it.
and we are in the worst economic state we've ever been in.
why were the french in vietnam?
why were the british etc. in africa?
etc. etc. etc. etc.
it's obvious global socioty is a toddler at best.
now i'll go make some music and try not to be depressed about it all
d

protocol

Post by protocol » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:10 pm

icedsushi wrote:So you are saying saddam wasn't a threat to anybody? :lol:
No, I think that he was very well controlled.

In the meantime, Iran went shopping in Pakistan and installed the atomic answer to the question if the world is more safe now.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:11 pm

Chris J wrote:
icedsushi wrote:OK, forgetting about WMD, I agree we should have gotten rid of Saddam. He was going to become a bigger and bigger threat as time went on. But, after that, fine..stay there a few months, give them some advice and a starting point on a new government. After that, we should have been outta there long ago. It's creating resentment now. We are dumping more and more money into a country who is resenting us the more we try to help and tell them what to do. Maybe the longer we stay the more people are tempted to become a terrorist. It's a vicious cycle. It's gone too far.
stupid question, stupid answer

some advice ? creating resentment NOW ?
Ok sorry about my silly answer. Why don't you provide a better answer then? What is your solution what the US should have done initially about this guy without creating resentment AGES AGO?