New Mac Quad Processor!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LiveLong

New Mac Quad Processor!!!

Post by LiveLong » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:29 am

10Ghz...

Say no more.

http://www.apple.com/powermac/

ByeByeTDM

:D

RobStrobe

Post by RobStrobe » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:46 am

but the software you´re using must support mutiple processors???right???

*ordidIoverseesomething*
* LIVE * 1031 + 1092 * LOGIC PRO 7
* ACCES VIRUS * MOTU 828
* TASCAM M-2600 * Sennheiser,AKG,Sure
http://www.myspace.com/robstrobetracks

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:08 am

RobStrobe wrote:but the software you´re using must support mutiple processors???right???

*ordidIoverseesomething*
since he said "Bye Bye TDM" you can assume he is speaking about ProTools.
ProTools does support multiple processors.

RobStrobe

Post by RobStrobe » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:13 am

i just use the small brother "LE" its enough for my recordings...so...

but ´i can´t imagine that the bigfarms will breakdown...i´mean there is more than just a cpu inside....
* LIVE * 1031 + 1092 * LOGIC PRO 7
* ACCES VIRUS * MOTU 828
* TASCAM M-2600 * Sennheiser,AKG,Sure
http://www.myspace.com/robstrobetracks

LiveLong

Post by LiveLong » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:37 am

Well, there was no direct reference to any, also I mentioned Pro Tools as it is the well known leading "add on DSP power to your computer".

My point is that the computers are getting so strong that soon you will not need to have an external processor/DSP card for heavy duty plug ins.

My new laptop runs live with an RME sound card, HQ reverb and a few other plug ins with 5-8% :!: :!: :!: DSP use. We are soon to be there.

:D :D :D
I am waiting for the new Mac lappy to replace the current G-4 old fart junk. And I am a MacHead.

The new I pod can run Live very nice...I Live

inis

Post by inis » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:24 pm

I dont believe you need dual processor support to fully take advantage of dual core processors. Some of the PC guys might know better, cause i think the dual cores have been available to them for a little longer.

But in theory, if it is the same, then worst case scenario is you only have a 5ghz processor to use with live instead of a 10. i dont think its that big of a deal,lol.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:30 pm

inis wrote: But in theory, if it is the same, then worst case scenario is you only have a 5ghz processor to use with live instead of a 10. i dont think its that big of a deal,lol.
no, worst case scenario would be having only 2.5ghz of an available 10ghz.
and thats exactly the way it is on an application that is not written to support multi-threading in its audio engine. (read: Ableton Live)

big bummer.

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:39 pm

ya ya.....lets not get to drawn into the hype......quad processing this , dual that......support this , yadda yadda........we're the fools who get sucked into the 'will they support it? wont they support it?' horseshit , and we will perpetually spend cash on upgrades and new editions (without any new functionality)......its hilarious , cos we will inevitabley beg ableton to support it , so they can charge us to buy it. and we'll be grateful for it too! lol...bugs and all...and you can rest assured they will use the extra processing power for anti-piracy algo's first and foremost.

wake me up when its done and dusted

inis

Post by inis » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:28 am

AdamJay wrote:
inis wrote: But in theory, if it is the same, then worst case scenario is you only have a 5ghz processor to use with live instead of a 10. i dont think its that big of a deal,lol.
and thats exactly the way it is on an application that is not written to support multi-threading in its audio engine. (read: Ableton Live)

big bummer.
ya, my bad adam, i didnt pay attention to how i worded that statement. obviously worst case is 2.5ghz.

i wish some dual core guys would chime in, cause i know there are a couple.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:08 am

does it bother anyone else that you have a quad processor.......and only 512 of ram?

:cry:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:40 am

eyeknow wrote:does it bother anyone else that you have a quad processor.......and only 512 of ram?
Apple only supports certain brands of RAM, and the way that the companies that make it can be convinced to keep up a decent spec is to actually have a chance to sell it to a mac owner. It's business pure and simple, otherwise Apple would have to buy all the RAM themselves, and the price would be more. In the end it's a good thing, just NEVER buy your RAM from Apple, it's much cheaper on the streets.

meatfestival

Post by meatfestival » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:08 am

4x 2.5ghz does not equal 10ghz. Sorry. Not unless you like running 4 CPU intensive applications simulataneously. Who the hell is going to pay such a ridiculous amount of money for something that will never be used to its full potential anyway? You can get quad opteron and xeon machines with more power for much less.

inis

Post by inis » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:45 am

meatfestival wrote:4x 2.5ghz does not equal 10ghz. Sorry. Not unless you like running 4 CPU intensive applications simulataneously. Who the hell is going to pay such a ridiculous amount of money for something that will never be used to its full potential anyway? You can get quad opteron and xeon machines with more power for much less.
Ive got one on the way. And your right, you wont use it to its potential with live. But i didnt get it for live. I got it for programs that can actually benefit from it.

lol, and fuck Xeon.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:06 am

AdamJay wrote:

big bummer.
HAHAHA! Oh my god! :lol:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:17 am

inis wrote:
meatfestival wrote:4x 2.5ghz does not equal 10ghz. Sorry. Not unless you like running 4 CPU intensive applications simulataneously. Who the hell is going to pay such a ridiculous amount of money for something that will never be used to its full potential anyway? You can get quad opteron and xeon machines with more power for much less.
Ive got one on the way. And your right, you wont use it to its potential with live. But i didnt get it for live. I got it for programs that can actually benefit from it.

lol, and fuck Xeon.
One thing he is right about though is 4 x 2.5ghz does not equal 10ghz Closer to 7Ghz in Apps that will use all four CPUs, but at that amount, who's counting? 8O