I Bet Ableton Is Making Live Vsti Compatible Right Now !!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
::mic-minimal::

I Bet Ableton Is Making Live Vsti Compatible Right Now !!!

Post by ::mic-minimal:: » Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:24 pm

I've been watching the proliferation of vst instruments come and come sometime it's like on a daily basis, and now most developers that made their wares stand alone and vsti are falling in number and starting to just make vstis, and even with audio units and dxis on the rise still vstis look like they will be ever present, not to mention that they've come along way
from the super sloppy days to having alot now that are very unique and useful. I remember how we all complained to ableton about the need and how alot of people said no that would make Live unstable, well now it seems like the tide for vsti implementation is so great that it would make better since to make two versions of live one with and one without than not implement vstis, so i firmly believe that the next version of Live will be
busting with all sorts of said features and am really looking forward to it. It
will definitly be the last piece of the puzzle for my production needs, and I wouldn't be suprised if there was also dxi and audio units compatiblity also
Knowing ableton, they're not just going to implement vstis in any old way, they're going to go up and above the board with the way that they do it in.
so don't expect a shoddy dodgey job like acid 4, get ready for something special. What do I mean by that? well look at v-stack and chainer, both do the same thing but not the same way and one has considerable advantages over the other, so don't expect ableton to just throw in some vsti compatibility and then call it a day. I'm certain that they are laboring on it right now making it better and especialy more unique than anything else out there, I mean we are talking about ableton right, and they have
a reputation to keep just look at the interface of Live, nothing on earth can touch it, it's fluidity, it's ease of access, it's ease of use, the incredible
power hidden beneathe the irrefutable simplicity of it all, nothing can beat
it in these areas, you don't think they are going to do any less when it comes to vsti implementation do you? OF COURSE NOT! So get ready to be compelled to name your newborn children after Ableton and their employees because without a doubt there are great things on the horizon.

siddhu

Post by siddhu » Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:43 pm

You mean you haven't already named your children after Ableton/Live?

Post by guest » Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:09 pm

since whining and yelling about it hasn't gotten them midi yet, they try a little reverse psychology.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:25 pm

guest wrote:since whining and yelling about it hasn't gotten them midi yet, they try a little reverse psychology.
at least "they" can read, and realize that this thread is about vsti's, not midi (but i guess "we'll" take that implemented into Live too!) Seems like someone has a personal problem with midi and/or vstis. I really don't understand what would be the problem with Live implementing these, plenty of stable apps have them, and if you don't want them, don't use them, but don't force your lame dogma on us. just cause you don't want things gives you right to try and prevent others from getting what they want. make a useful suggestion, not some unfounded and incongruent potshot at everyone and no one. just think, you can save money and not purchase future updates since you don't need the things others of us do--then everyones happy.

Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:01 pm

Live was designed to compliment existing software that already does VSTi. That's why Live uses Rewire. You can Rewire Live to Cubase ( if you must ). I personally find Reason does everything I need. The better I get at programming Reason, the less I am interested in VSTi's. Except for Absynth... But I can use Absyth standalone and route through my MOTU 828 into Live's input, so who cares. Live does not need to implement VSTi. The rest of the world needs to implement Rewire.

siddhu

Rewire es mucho brilliant.

Post by siddhu » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:22 pm

I have to agree.

Imagine being able to run Absynth, Kontact, or Traktor into Live via Rewire.

siddhu

Native Instruments and Rewire

Post by siddhu » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:24 pm

By the way, there are rumours circulating from credible sources that NI is considering Rewire implementation.

Re: Rewire es mucho brilliant.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:59 pm

siddhu wrote:I have to agree.

Imagine being able to run Absynth, Kontact, or Traktor into Live via Rewire.

- have you got reason 2.5 yet?? Absynth etc may be cool - but everything reason now does along with live is all you need period - you can do sooo much - anything in fact - if you already own absynth etc - export the bits as audio if you must - there has never been a more fluid, intuitive and easy to use combo than ableton and reason - no need to involve traktor, as ableton could probably just bring in mp3 support etc (does anyone know why they haven't yet?) and the odd button (say, pitch +/- or the like, have they still not done that yet??) and it will do everything traktor can - maybe they should implement another interface window - a bit like traktor - to give better mixability, say a rocord scratch view or something (like fruity loops) although i think the idea is to get into the use of midi for things like that (say pitch wheel for plus/minus etc) - haven't gone that far intothe midi side yet..

siddhu

Post by siddhu » Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:07 pm

I am a big Reason fan, but Absynth is a fantastic app and I create very different sounds when using Absynth then when I am in Reason.

Plus, it would be pretty fantastic to play Absynth live along with Live.

Traktor is brilliant and probably the best digital dj soft out there. I think it would be amazing to use it with Live and not because of it's MP3 support but just because it's better suited for playing long tracks (IMHO).

Personally, with HD space being so cheap, I just don't get the fascination with MP3s. To me they sound terrible.

If people want Live to implement a compressed format why not AAC or Ogg Vorbis???

::mic-minimal:

Post by ::mic-minimal: » Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:29 pm

Geraldo nice to see you still around, I for one would like to have rewire and vsti ability, if it's done well, I think reason is good enough for synth work and great for learning too, but I'm a samplist, even though I write songs with accoustic/elec guitar and play bass I can not resist turning it all into samples. I love sampling and I want to have every hardware/software
sampler ever created one day so I think it would be great to have traktor,
kontakt, machfive, halion etc. all capable of rewiring into live.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:09 am

amen. why are people opposed to vsti's in Live? I've yet to hear any rationale or logical arguments, just moronic comments and whining about stability. FAce it, vsti's are a huge part of the music software industry, they provide great sounds with capabilities far beyond Reason. Most music production software sucessfully incorporates vsti's without sacraficing stability. These are the simple facts. Live should incorporate vsti' or create a vsti host for use in Live , otherwise the are clearly excluding the majority of quality sofware synthesizers for use directly in Live. The rewire live as slave workaround is not a reasonable solution, processor-wise. If you don't want vsti's in Live, don't use them, but to oppose them without any justification is like software/technology racism--what is so bad about these vsti's--will they harm your children? what about their cousins, vst effects, seems like people accept the fact that live incorporates these? Try not to let your closed-mindedness hamper the creativity of others.

Ryan

siddhu

Post by siddhu » Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:21 am

Ryan + McMinimal

Like what you have to say about VSTi's and Rewire.

What are your thoughts about Ableton developing a simple V-Stack type app that would let Live'rs run VSTi's via Rewire into Live.

The cool thing would be that it's an elegantly simple stand alone module that you could use if you wanted to?

::mic-minimal:

Post by ::mic-minimal: » Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:45 am

siddhu that could only be a positive thing I think, I have and need to be able to use many vst samplers in live. I tell you no lie when I say that abletons Live is the program where I want all of my sounds, beats, audio clips, samples, tracks, and soundbeds to end up. Live is the place to be. I think that Ableton are suffering from what I would call ' Not Greedy Enough Software Company Syndrome', see you can tell how nice Robert is
by reading his post, I don't think they get just how important their little gem has become, even programs like Radial that come close are still far from being in the same league as Live. It was no easy feat taking the crown from Acid, that should of been their first clue that this was something big. If they were just a little bit greedy we'd all have those 2 or
3 features that we need and they'd be on holiday with enough cheese left over to pay some super nerds to do the programing for them. I'd glady pay for vsti/dxi , I hope they take your idea and run with it. the legendary
combo that is now LIve and Reason could actualy be Live and everything.

siddhu

Let's get some support for a V-Stack type Device

Post by siddhu » Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:03 am

Eveyone who thinks that Live could benefit from an independent, modular, V-Stack type device allowing Live'rs to use VSTi's via Rewire, let your thought be known.

I say the device should be bundled with Live but be seperate so that you don't need to use it if you don't want to.

In regards to your comments about the Live staff, I met Robert at Mutek and have to completely agree with you about the Abletons.

They are a superlative group of people who genuinely care about what they are doing. It pains me to hear nasty comments posted about them.

A lot of people don't get that they are really working hard to satisfy us, and they do not have the financial resources of Steinberg, Digidesign, Microsoft, or Apple.

Rx

Post by Rx » Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:41 am

The main fear about VSTi support from the beginning was that of stability. That being said, I trust Ableton to come up with a viable solution at some point. Being slaved to Cubase is not the answer for live performance, and Reason still doesn't sounds cramped and lacks a proper mixer (treble & bass knobs don't cut it). Project5 is promising, but the jury is still out on it. I wish Ableton would create a midi sequencer for VSTi, a sister app for Live - they're the only ones I trust to create something stable (aside from the stability of the VSTi being used).

Hell - I'd like to see them make a VSTi. I wonder what Monolake, Christian Kleine & the like would come up with.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type