I Bet Ableton Is Making Live Vsti Compatible Right Now !!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:48 am

Live is all about audio. The point is to get away from VSTi's and think differently about sound creation. If Ableton supports VSTi's I think that would mean creating a midi sequencer/editor module just so you could sound like every other freak'n electronica clone out there. I don't know any musician who has ever been completely satisfied with anything so why do you guys think VSTi is going to make you feel better about life? I hate VSTi. It gives me hives. It never works right and when it does what do you have? Cubase!!! What is the point of using LIVE if you just play the same godamn VSTi synths that you just played in Cubase? What is the point?! Wait, I have a revolutionary idea! Why don't you guys take piano lessons and learn how actually play your keyboard parts. Then you could record them as audio into the audio inputs that Live provides for you and maybe use live to edit the a-u-d-i-o. It has this really cool feature called "warp markers" have you used them yet???? Buy Cubase if you want VSTis.

mic-minimal

Post by mic-minimal » Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:54 am

:roll: Geraldo man it doesn't sound like you, what happen to that fun luving guy who use to remind us all of greg brady? Anyway check this out I took your advice about the piano lessons, only before you said it I started with them last week, but good point anyway, second what is that hint of a way to get the vstis into live that you've got going cause I don't need to sequence them just use them and you're right cubase sux, but live
with vstis still would be a far cry from cubase. also I want vstis/dxi so that I can use kontakt, devine machine, droo8 drumsampler, Xphraze, and many others of the same ilk, I'm not intrested in just playing a synth sound in live, I'm a samplist and I want to combine other sample manglers abilities with Lives.

peace

quandry

Post by quandry » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:31 pm

Geraldo wrote:Live is all about audio. The point is to get away from VSTi's and think differently about sound creation. If Ableton supports VSTi's I think that would mean creating a midi sequencer/editor module just so you could sound like every other freak'n electronica clone out there. I don't know any musician who has ever been completely satisfied with anything so why do you guys think VSTi is going to make you feel better about life? I hate VSTi. It gives me hives. It never works right and when it does what do you have? Cubase!!! What is the point of using LIVE if you just play the same godamn VSTi synths that you just played in Cubase? What is the point?! Wait, I have a revolutionary idea! Why don't you guys take piano lessons and learn how actually play your keyboard parts. Then you could record them as audio into the audio inputs that Live provides for you and maybe use live to edit the a-u-d-i-o. It has this really cool feature called "warp markers" have you used them yet???? Buy Cubase if you want VSTis.

assmunch--I bet I can play circles around you on anything with keys. I think 12 years of classical piano training helps, and I own a piano and kick-ass hammond H-112 organ, on top of my rhodes and k-station. But you know what, I actually gig out a few times a week instead of sitting in my moms basement like you, and prefer not to bring my piano, hammond, and rhodes on top of the shit i have to bring (modulus bass, es-335, toshiba laptop and accesories, drumkat, PA, pedals, stands, cords, blah, blah,blah). So for those of us who actually have gigs in public, the ability to use great sounding vstis (B4, Lounge Lizard, sampletank) is of crucial importance. Instead of lugging my hammond, rhodes, and piano to get those sounds, I could just bring my laptop and k-station. Sure I could spend a boatload of money on a big keyboard with good emulation of those sounds are carry another big piece of gear to gigs, but i already own the vstis, and really don't feel its asking too much to be able to use them within my favorite software. So there is a ligitimate, logical reason for the implementation of vstis in Live--the ability to have a huge arsenal of keyboard (and other instruments--sitar, harp, etc. that are hard to come by) sounds with just a laptop and midi controller. What is wrong with that. Why shouldn't someone be able to have lots of vsti sound options at a gig?

Geraldo, get a life dude, and use some sort of logical rationale to defend you stance, not third grade taunts with no real point. I bet since you never have had a gig, that you might not realize that schlepping gear around a few nights a week can get old, and one looks for ways to carry less shit-enter vstis. I use Live live, absolutely NO pre-recorded samples--I build up tracks from silence, one clip at a time, so believe it or not, I would just want to record the vstis live in real time, like audio (though i know they will proabably have to be recorded as midi like in other programs). It would be great to be able to make clips of vsti instruments--again why is that soo wrong? I really can't believe how angry and judgemental your post is--you must really be scarred by cubase. Anyway, yes I know how to use warp markers, but actually, since i indeed can play keyboards quite well, I rarely, if ever, use warp markers on keyboard parts--I just play them right the first time--maybe you should try that Geraldo. So remember, even though some fools sit in their moms basement and act the role of the producer, some of us are actually using Live......live! For those of us that actually get the gigs, and play live music in front of real people using Live, the huge range of instruments and tones available with vstis is something I for one would love to be able to tap into. If your going to rant and rave, at least have a practical point your trying to prove, not just a bunch of angry words.

Ryan

Rx

Post by Rx » Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:10 pm

Live IS all about audio, but I'd like some solid VSTi implementation so I could really improvise rather than turn loops on and off. Besides - everyone has a favorite synth and for most of us, it's not something in Reason. Personally, I think Project 5 is promising in allowing the use of midi loops.

However, if Ableton ever implements VSTi, it should NOT be part of Live and should be a separate app.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

choplifta

hmmmm????

Post by choplifta » Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:46 am

well music is about sound aint it??? so what is the big problem about having vstis huh??? even kids can press record.... its so easy... so live is ALL about AUDIO??? well if you can hear a vsti then its god damn AUDIO... learn to live with it bro... and "The point is to get away from VSTi's and think differently about sound creation" whats your problem??? yeah go ahead and try to sound like akufen or whatever you listen to.... but it wont make you different.... and did you know its possible to build your own wstis??? i guess not.... and its maybe not that original and differently thinking to you afterall.... stay positive!

Geraldo wrote:Live is all about audio. The point is to get away from VSTi's and think differently about sound creation. If Ableton supports VSTi's I think that would mean creating a midi sequencer/editor module just so you could sound like every other freak'n electronica clone out there. I don't know any musician who has ever been completely satisfied with anything so why do you guys think VSTi is going to make you feel better about life? I hate VSTi. It gives me hives. It never works right and when it does what do you have? Cubase!!! What is the point of using LIVE if you just play the same godamn VSTi synths that you just played in Cubase? What is the point?! Wait, I have a revolutionary idea! Why don't you guys take piano lessons and learn how actually play your keyboard parts. Then you could record them as audio into the audio inputs that Live provides for you and maybe use live to edit the a-u-d-i-o. It has this really cool feature called "warp markers" have you used them yet???? Buy Cubase if you want VSTis.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:50 am

Oi, would you please calm down, lads? No need to start a fight. All these bad vibes give me a head ache.

And leave your mums out of this, please.

Have a pleasant Sunday, everybody.

-Paws

PS: And oh yeah, if you want VSTi support, you don't get Cubase, you get Logic. Most all of the decent virtual instruments are out as AUs now, anways. And who'd want Cubase when they could get Logic instead? Noone, I should think!

Rx

Post by Rx » Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:34 pm

noisetonepause wrote:And who'd want Cubase when they could get Logic instead? Noone, I should think!
PC users, perhaps?

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:18 pm

But wouldn't PC users want a decent computer before they spend such a large sum on software?

... J/K...

-Paws

Rx

Post by Rx » Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:52 pm

I think most pc users have the money to spend on the software since they don't have to overpay for a niche computer.

:wink:
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

siddhu

wasted life energy

Post by siddhu » Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:35 pm

don't waste your life enrgy on the tired pc vs mac debate.

go play with Live instead :D

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:02 pm

I would, but I just sent my iBook of to be serviced.

8O :? :evil: :roll: :x :( :roll:

's how I feel. I'm replacing it with an MPC. Can't be bothered/afford to get a new Mac.

-Paws

mimesis

Post by mimesis » Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:10 pm

wow- heated debates! i like it. yeah, i love absynth and traktor, too. what i do is up the latency and send the audio out of the motu and back in and record it. works fairly well... and the feature in absynth that lets you record clips makes it wonderfull in live. i just save the absynth clips in the self contained live set and drop it in. in reason i have an nnxt default to the same self contained folder, and on top of that i have recycle constantly running so within a minute i can have all those sounds, wether in traktor (my playlists in traktor is also in the same self contained folder) scratching stuff, or loadind those sounds into absynth's 'sympler' or whatever--- man its a killer set up!!!!!

that being said vsti via rewire would be tops on my list..... and a fat midi controller built for live with a live template would be a plus (anyone know if the mackie control will work with live??

siddhu

Mackie Controller

Post by siddhu » Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:55 pm

Mackie Controller does not work with Live since it does not use a "standard" midi format.

Apps need to have special code to work with the Mackie.

If you are in that price range, you might want to check out the Radikal Sac which according to all the reviews is kind of the Ferrari of controllers.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:45 pm

Why do people insist that because Live is the way it is now it is al about Audio, it isnt, you know what, if you remember, cubase was "all about midi" no look at it. Software eveolves. Live is amazing and for some poeple it will be even better when(if) it has some form of midi implementation for drivind external synths, and maybe vsti support. I have reason 2.5 and I'd love to get away from using it as I only use it for sampleing. Absynth really is a different beast, I use its audio recorder as I do not have a VSTi compatable seqencer and I then loadf my riffs/samples into live and use watrp markers to hange the timing but it would be amazing if I could play it straight into Live with a click going.

Some of you profess that Live inspires new ways of thinking well then open you mind as the argument to use Rewire and a sequncer or reason doesnt hold water wit a lot of people, Live is about performing Live and this doesnt just cover audio in most peoples books.

Get a grip and also if people start slinging internet rumours aroiund NI using rewire well, that is just a rumour.

If you dont want midi, then Dont use it same for VSTis. simple, just bare that in mind, trust ableton to make it stable and really rewally cool!

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:51 pm

And also why a seperate ableton app when they could include it into Live (much less processor intensive this way) and if you dont want to use vst's then dont!