OH GOD SWEET JESUS ALL MY LIVE SETS ARE GONE

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hacktheplanet

OH GOD SWEET JESUS ALL MY LIVE SETS ARE GONE

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:05 pm

... And I only have one set backed up. :( :( :( :( :(

I don't know how it happened. I think I was drunk and deleting files last night from my desktop, and accidentally deleted the folder that contained ALL my live sets, including the one that I've spent months creating for live pa.

FUCK AARGH

Oh well, I hope that this event will take me in a new direction musically. I can also recreate a lot of the stuff from memory, as all the patches were stored in my synthesizers. Thank god for MIDI. Also, there were two really important sets. The first was the live set, and the second was the DJ mix. The DJ mix still exists, because I backed it up onto two seperate drives. I was going to do a complete system backup in a few days though, and that's why I was clearing files.
Well it's time to get back to work before the New Years show. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

Anyone else have any file deletion horror stories? We can empathize together and hopefully comfort one another.

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:09 pm

Recycle Bin?
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:11 pm

friends don't let friends drink and delete.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:12 pm

Norton Unerase has saved me from more than one disaster!

If it's any consolation, you'll rebuild it better the second time, and maybe even invest in a cheap external drive and back up each day...

And probably not work again while drunk! :oops:

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:12 pm

There was nothing in the recycle bin except old fast food wrappers, empty beer cans, and dry pens. :(
And I also tried 3-4 different demo versions of undelete apps. They all came up with old mp3 and wav files. No als files. Ugh.
I am slightly happy that the new set will be better than the first, and not stuck in a rut or something.

cosmosuave

Post by cosmosuave » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:25 pm

Your trash bin look like this....

MD SPS-1 DARKENERGY JX-3P (PG200) Mbase01
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave
http://www.cosmosuave.com/

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:26 pm

oh man, that sucks! I definitely feel your pain. I've done that loads of time. Plus the old trick of formatting, and then realizing I had forgotten to back up my emails and shit. I once lost 8 old really good songs like that. Like, my own masters, with no backups anywhere. I'm better now.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

clipperer

Post by clipperer » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:47 pm

that happenned to me too. once....when i formated drive with all music files. but fortunetally ive found that - http://www.runtime.org/downloads.htm ,searched for .rns [ in your case .als ] and resaved them. cause this demo version is not allowing you to actually get files back if you havent purchased it.. anyway you could try.

clipperer

Post by clipperer » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:50 pm

the more unchangeable you leave your hard drive after loss, the bigger is chance of recovering your als's. i mean dont install much and dont delete in the period when you still have a hope.
wish you luck

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:11 pm

Yes, if you have any hope at all of recovering those files...don't even use your computer until you can get the right app, or whatever. The files stay on your hard drive until they are overwritten.

Not much of a "horror" story, but I spent 9 hours recording an outdoor music festival for the people running it. At the end I was chopping the file up into chunks small enough for SoundForge to save, and the soundguy pulled the power on my computer!! Aside from the fact that he could have fried my power supply and corrupted my config.sys file, I lost everything I had recorded. D'oh!!

I spent a couple of days trying to find an app that would let me recover, and in the process installed several apps. I think installing the recovery apps must have overwritten the deleted files because they didn't come up on the search, but files I had deleted a year before showed up.

Very weird, and a little scary too...you think a file's gone, but there it is.

amo

Post by amo » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:57 am

What did SweetJesus do again ?

Sorry I had to make it... :oops:
And sorry for you guy, and wish you the best for your new-better Live set,
amo
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

louZ

Post by louZ » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:46 am

Try File Rescue Plus or similar app!
As long as you haven't overwritten them with new files, the imprint of the Live files should still be there.

Oh, and this is why one should never drink and delete (I know, bad joke) ;)

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:37 am

I've lost my music several times over the years. one experience was a trojan horse that took over my own pc and the store I took it to didn't back up ANYTHING when I told them I wanted everything. I could have slapped her. I lost TONS of music in that horrible experience. I was young though and learned to back up after that.

the other time was when I first started I was using a jx305 and had a whole bunch of stuff programmed in it and then one day it didn't turn on. had to send it into roland as no one locally would touch it. when it came back none of my songs were in it. to finish that story... it worked for years and then just the other day it stopped working again... good thing I stopped using it years ago...
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:46 am

Was downloading pron a few years ago, dl finished and file disappeared.
Turned off my pc , it rebooted itself and deleted my hard disk - turned
out I'd downloaded a "deltree" command.

Lost my 1st 3 years of music making and knocked it all on the head for
a year!!

Still, learned my lesson, NEVER dl pron now...

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:00 am

Actually, thinking about it now, Krugger called me a wanker on
another thread. I thought he was being a total hijo de puta, but just
maybe he somehow know about my pron incident and was just telling
it the way it is... :D