Mobile / Portable audio interfaces w/ pre-amp recommendation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
StompyJ

Mobile / Portable audio interfaces w/ pre-amp recommendation

Post by StompyJ » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:46 pm

Hey guys, getting a bit more serious with the studio here and need to be able to record some vocalists in out-of-my-studio places, can anyone recommend some good portable decent sounding audio interfaces?

I know of the MBox and motu traveller? any others?
no longer needed. this is for you. you know who you are.

telekom

Post by telekom » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:50 pm

Hi stompy,
Tascam US122 is cheap and ruggedly built (with the exception of the knobs which feel a bit "shoogly"). I used it to record numerous vocal takes in some very unpromising spaces and it did the trick. Very simple to use, solid performance so far for me. Who's next? give the guy some ideas!
:)
HTH
M
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

BLuE_Lu

Post by BLuE_Lu » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:56 pm

Since I never had the cash, I'm using a 122 Tascam myself - its alright, the line ins tend to be muddy, especially in the bass range and bit muffled in the highs, but for the money its an okay deal I guess.

IF you have enough cash I strongly recommend metric halo interfaces (there are only two different models) with some real PRISTINE pres. Firewire and everything. I think mhlabs.com is the place to go.

later

StompyJ

Post by StompyJ » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:32 pm

thanks guys! I gotta find a way to record this vocalist at her place by Sunday :)

udp

Post by udp » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:23 pm

If you're on OS 10.4 the US-122 drivers are really touch and go. Don't know which os you're using, so may not be an issue.
OS X.5 MacBook Core 2Duo 2.2ghz, 2Gig RAM Mackie Onyx 400F m-audio BX8's, Oxygen 8, Zoom H-4, Alesis Masterlink, Bitstream 3x
http://www.udpmusic.com

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:26 pm

Echo Layla is said to be very good for the price.... On par with RME I hear.....

-Ben

StompyJ

Post by StompyJ » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:50 pm

Ben, thanks, I actually have a layla24, but the pci card, not the laptop adapter

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:50 am

i use a quatafire 610, and they've also just released a usb box called a u46dj that 'might' be worth a look (not sure about the mic inputs on that one). my quatafire runs great on pc, and can use firewire powering on mac (or anything with 6 pin firewire). got mic phantom power and the preamps seem ok too (i haven't run a mic through it but guitars come up a treat), but i doubt they'd stand up to a motu or rme setup.

if you're looking for something small, tough as nails and cheap i'd recommend the quatafire, but make sure it has the latest firmware preinstalled on it. when i bought mine 18 months ago they were scrambling to update the firmware for OSX, but i imagine they've got it sorted by know.

if i had my way, i'd be using an rme fireface 800 though...
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

telekom

Post by telekom » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:17 am

udp wrote:If you're on OS 10.4 the US-122 drivers are really touch and go. Don't know which os you're using, so may not be an issue.
Hey udp,
I had problems with the original drivers as supplied on CD and OSX 10.3.7 when I first bought the US122. But when I upgraded from the website it all went fine. Don't know about compatibility with 10.4 as I haven't got Tiger yet :(

Is there not some new fangled bit of Tiger which can allow use of USB external soundcards without drivers, ie native to the OS? I thought I read summink about that.

:)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone