Assiging 2 MIDI controls to 1 gain control

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Celtic

Assiging 2 MIDI controls to 1 gain control

Post by Celtic » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:36 pm

Is it possible to assign 2 controls to 1 Gain control on a track. So I could use a knob and a slider to control track volume like on a real mixer ?

Bit of a long shot I know.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:07 pm

Do real mixers have two controls...? (Well, they do if you count the input gain. But that one is usually set to a fixed value one you establish the levels).

You could get the same effect with a Utility plug in in the track. Use that to establish the base level/gain and then mix with the main fader.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:31 pm

the real question is when will we be able to use one midi cc to control multiple values in live.

as far as "real" mixing boards... the best let you do what ever you want to do.... although, yeah, i'm lost too about this two controllers for one gain control.....

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Celtic

Post by Celtic » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:27 pm

DJ mixers kind of have 2 controls. The gain knob sets the actual volume then the channel fader decides how much of that volume you want to use. I was just wondering if you can achieve a similar set up using a MIDI controller. If I could I could kill the track DJ style then snap it back in. Getting it back to the exact same volume level would be very hard using a MIDI slider assigned to the gain but its simple using a DJ mixer, you just snap the channel fader down then back up again to the top.

I know it might be impossible which is why I asked.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:32 pm

why dont you use the crossfader?

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:53 pm

Celtic wrote:DJ mixers kind of have 2 controls. The gain knob sets the actual volume then the channel fader decides how much of that volume you want to use. I was just wondering if you can achieve a similar set up using a MIDI controller. If I could I could kill the track DJ style then snap it back in. Getting it back to the exact same volume level would be very hard using a MIDI slider assigned to the gain but its simple using a DJ mixer, you just snap the channel fader down then back up again to the top.

I know it might be impossible which is why I asked.
I already answered in my post above. Max out the fader and adjust the actual volume with a utility plug in. Assign both controls to separate midi controllers.

:roll:

ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:59 pm

what controller do u have?

i can tell ya quite a few tips, but depends on that somewhat.
my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:48 am

if you have wide enuff faders you can place a finger where you want it (the fader) to stop. You can use this to do "fade out" cuts as well...

Celtic

Post by Celtic » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:15 pm

ben_blue wrote:what controller do u have?

i can tell ya quite a few tips, but depends on that somewhat.
UC-33e mate 8)

charles-l

Post by charles-l » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:13 pm

hi

i think the simple solution was touched upon. Asign the rotory knob to the gain in the track. Then add utility and assign a fader to it, or he other way round. Thats how i do this.

cheers

Charles :)