Ableton won't start due to time change in the UK

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
4am

Post by 4am » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:16 pm

amo wrote:
xxjojoxx wrote:to trash the preferences... do i just delete the preferences.cfg file?
exactly
i can't find this file...
it isn't under "program files" and not under "documents and settings...ableton"...

4am

Post by 4am » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:18 pm

4am wrote:
amo wrote:
xxjojoxx wrote:to trash the preferences... do i just delete the preferences.cfg file?
exactly
i can't find this file...
it isn't under "program files" and not under "documents and settings...ableton"...
forget this post,
i just found now :oops:

amo

Post by amo » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:19 pm

On my computer, it is here:
C:\Documents and Settings\amo\Application Data\Ableton\Live 5.0.2\Preferences

Replace amo by your user name... it should be there.
Cheers,
amo
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

chrs

Post by chrs » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:25 am

I'm having the exact same problem - a crash directly after a VST scan - and it works fine without the VST directory, but even after trashing the preferences file Live just shuts down without warning.
I've tried isolating a particular VST, but to no avail. Any word on a possible bug fix? I have a mix deadline on Friday from my label!@# 8O 8O 8O

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:50 am

on my machine it crashed on re-scan (after trashing the preferences) I had to re-scan VST folder from live's menu twice before it would work OK. I guess there must have been a couple of VSTi that were really un-loverly in the folder. Live marks these as evil on a crash and wont try to re-scan them (as I understand)
It may take a few scans.

what a wonderful system
:roll:

Voodu

Post by Voodu » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:49 am

I'm using a pc and alot of vst plugs and my pc changed time and Live comes right up. (knock on wood) That's really odd, I'm sorry to hear that happend to you guys.

Sharkcellar

Post by Sharkcellar » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:10 am

I am experiencing this same problem right now. I thought that it was from a recent updating of XP. But I'm getting the same stupid error message!
Live 8.1.3

Wintel: Intel Core 2 Quad, 2.83 GHZ, 4GB RAM, Win7 64 bit, NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+, Audiophile 2496,

Peripherals: Wacom Intuos3 6x8

myztmuzic

Post by myztmuzic » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:17 am

I could launch it, but it re-scanned all the vst/vsti's before it booted up. But no crashes.

Weird 8O
be-be - an eL, an eS and be a Dee
- the orb -

myztmuzic

Post by myztmuzic » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:04 pm

chrs wrote:I'm having the exact same problem - a crash directly after a VST scan - and it works fine without the VST directory, but even after trashing the preferences file Live just shuts down without warning.
I've tried isolating a particular VST, but to no avail. Any word on a possible bug fix? I have a mix deadline on Friday from my label!@# 8O 8O 8O
I couldn't launc Live 5.0 when i bought it, until I deleted "vsampler3.dll" (vst or vsti, I can't remember whitch one)
be-be - an eL, an eS and be a Dee
- the orb -

jerryc

Post by jerryc » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:01 pm

had the same problem with windows in the u.s.
deleted waves shell and now it works.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:39 pm

hey abes, any feedback on what happened?

shaduz

Post by shaduz » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:56 pm

Same problem here with windowx xp sp2 (italian) and live 5.02.
I just deleted the old preferences.cfg and now it works again :D
The strange thing is that last week i installed 5.02 on my laptop (windows xp sp2 eng) and i didn't experience any problem. This makes me think that this bug is not depending by ableton live, since it only happened on my desktop (with several vst plugins installed) and not on the notebook (with no vst plugins installed).
Bedore deleting the preferences file i also tried to move the vstplugins directory to another place and live worked fine (but without vst plugins).
Hope this helps someone :wink:

dom

Post by dom » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:21 pm

hi folks, hi peeddrroo,

the bug has to do with the daylight saving stuff and the modification dates of files on windows systems. in short: there are different functions to get the modification date and this can cause trouble after switching. we will fix it in the next update, the next time switching will be in april, as far as i remeber, and everything should work as expected.

take a look here for more insight in this topic:

http://www.codeproject.com/datetime/dstbugs.asp

dom wilms
ableton hq

webslave

Can't find preference !!

Post by webslave » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:21 am

Live is dead to me at the moment and I need to do a mix.

I keep on reading delete preferences.cfg to make it work again - problem is there is no file on my computer anywhere called preferences.cfg and no preference folder in any of the paths mentioned.

Help

Stew Dean

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:15 am

chrs wrote:I'm having the exact same problem - a crash directly after a VST scan - and it works fine without the VST directory, but even after trashing the preferences file Live just shuts down without warning.
you should assume that the abes dont read this forum , and email them directly at support@ableton.com for a quicker response......i know i would if i had a record label deadline...

good luck