recording ableton tracks as audio into logic 6.0 via rewire?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
amwintx

recording ableton tracks as audio into logic 6.0 via rewire?

Post by amwintx » Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:58 pm

Hello,

I have logic platinum 6.0 on OSX and live 2.1.b2 and I am able to monitor/route individual Live tracks into Logic by assigning the output of a specific track in Live to a rewire bus. But, when I hit record on the rewire track in Logic, the transport starts but it does not record an audio file. I am trying to convert whole songs into Logic via rewire (to avoid having to render each track to disc in Live and import them one at a time). Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong in Logic?

Thanks!

tinycat

Post by tinycat » Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:10 pm

like other audioinstruments you will need to bounce by hitting the bounce button on the master fader in logic.

so....

1) solo the rewire track you want to record
2) press bounce on the master fader
3) select the bounce and add option.

in the end you will have a new audio track with live audio recorded on it.

amwintx

Post by amwintx » Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:24 pm

Crap! Meaning I still have to record reweire channels as audio one at a time? In that case I can just render to disk from Live and then import the tracks. I was hoping for a better process.

Thanks.

tinycat

Post by tinycat » Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:35 pm

Yes it still is a one track at a time thing if you want to bounce down audio on a per track basis. Depending on your processor speed and power, you could just keep the rewire playing through and add whatever other audio tracks and such that you want, mix and then bounce everything down at the end to get your final "premastered" track.

There are advantages of bouncing down live tracks in logic rather than importing them. 1) The work flow is pretty simple if you do it this way. 2) I find that sound quality is improved when you bounce through logic. etc

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:17 pm

With non-rewire audio instruments, it's easy. You set you freeze file format to 24 bits, then freeze all instrument tracks, and viola. You cannot do this with rewire, aux'es and buses though. Even though it is stated in one of the logic manuals somewhere that you can freeze rewire tracks, but it cannot be done. Maybee in an update. But bounce-and-add is quite efficient anyway.

jamief

Post by jamief » Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:27 am

There is a work around:

If you have multi out device say like a motu 828 and a digital desk maybe aYamaha 01v you could :

Route the 8 buss adat out into the Yamaha ( digitally ) and then buss it back out of the desks adat interface (optional extra) and into the Motu again allowing you to record 4 stereo tracks or 8 mono .

it seems to much bother to be practically doing though.

best

:roll:

Jamie~F

burgessa23

Post by burgessa23 » Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:22 pm

or you could use DP4...
no need to bounce

(yes Shawn, I'm coming home... as soon as the 4.1 AU update comes out!!!)

-a

Eddie D

Post by Eddie D » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:35 pm

burgessa23,
What do you mean by "you don't have to bounce in DP4"?

Thanks,

Eddie D

burgessa23

Post by burgessa23 » Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:08 pm

you can record it 'live' like any audio input track

this is the strength of dp over logic in my opinion.

-a