First mix with Abelton, Deep, Dark & Sexy house.........

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Soulman

First mix with Abelton, Deep, Dark & Sexy house.............

Post by Soulman » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:39 am

............I'm fairly new to Abelton (June/July) so be gentle with me. :lol:

Been DJing for 29 years 8O 8O 8O (starting to get the hang of it now :lol: ) and computer DJing for over 7 years, first 3 years with a tower and VTT (Virtual TurnTables), then the last 4 years with laptops and PCDJ. The last 3 months after getting a pair of 1210s in flightcases cheap off ebay, been using vinyl quite a lot alongside the laptop. Haven't used Abelton in my gig yet, but, expect to soon. :D

Deep Dark & Sexy - was originally going to be a vinyl mix then after purchasing Abelton Live it was used as an experimental learning tool. I did put a lot of effort into the choice of tunes all of which I have on vinyl except one. Its still pretty much end to end DJing but expecting to break out of that mould eventually. After using Abelton for a while ideas started flowing resulting in turning my house upside down at 3am one morning looking for the radio samples I knew I had on 70's vinyl somewhere. :lol: There's much more that I could do with this mix, however, I wanted closure so that I could move on and do other things with Abelton Live. Most of the mix was done prior to getting the UC33e last Friday, only added a few filter tweaks with it. 8)

A bit of feedback would be much appreciated. Have fun & enjoy, cheers. :D

Deep, Dark & Sexy

71 minutes, 65Mb
Les
http://www.myspace.com/lesscurr

Gigged at Yates, The Orange Corner & Plastik, Ibiza - June & Sept '06.

Gigged at The Orange Corner, Ibiza, 2007
June 21st, ambient chillout House & Latin
June 23rd, Electro & Tech House

amo

Post by amo » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:49 am

Hi Soulman,

listening to your mix while browsing here and doing morning stuff, and I feel quite well !
Very trippy, I can't say anything on the mix, sounds well to me, no problem to point out.
Keep on the good work !

amo
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:14 am

Nice mix!

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

protocol

Post by protocol » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:19 pm

Mhmm... sounds good. :-)

Thx!

Krugger

Post by Krugger » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:54 pm

Still on the first tune, loving the techy feel of it

Can you pls post the track listing please mate? Thanks

Kr.

Soulman

Post by Soulman » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:38 pm

Krugger wrote:Still on the first tune, loving the techy feel of it

Can you pls post the track listing please mate? Thanks

Kr.
Tracklist is here was tryin' to keep it secret :wink: :lol:
Last edited by Soulman on Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Les

Soulman

Post by Soulman » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:48 pm

Hmmm, getting some good responses here, thanks guys. :D

Always wanted to do a trippy atmospheric kinda mix instead of the usual funky house. Next one is gonna be................mmm dunno, maybe tougher more dance orientated house? Again it will be used to progress further on with Abelton and its facilities. This is all leading up to doing my own stuff. Abelton has got me inspired again to get creative. :wink: :D Haven't written anything for 11 years since I dumped Virgin Records. :lol: Seriously! 8O
Les

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:39 pm

cool mix, I listened to it at work while doing some busy work, I enjoyed it very much.

Some MINOR points
- the flow was a bit inconsistent, the second half has a more fluid uptempo to downtempo rhythm, the first half starts to establish the mix as a very mellow late night crash out mix. I'd totally put this on to sleep at night but the end picks up, meh, I'll probably still crash out to it. ;)

- I don't know if it fits this mix, but more can be done to a mix with Live than with 2 turntables, the mix could've used more Live trickery, more cuts, more blending of tracks. Then again, that kind of production flash might not fit in a mellow mix like that.

Cheers and thanks for sharing! 8)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:55 am

I like this a lot man, kick ass tracks.

Jesper

Post by Jesper » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:38 am

Very good! Thanks a lot! :D

Soulman

Post by Soulman » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:43 pm

DeadlyKungFu wrote:cool mix, I listened to it at work while doing some busy work, I enjoyed it very much.

Some MINOR points
- the flow was a bit inconsistent, the second half has a more fluid uptempo to downtempo rhythm, the first half starts to establish the mix as a very mellow late night crash out mix. I'd totally put this on to sleep at night but the end picks up, meh, I'll probably still crash out to it. ;)

- I don't know if it fits this mix, but more can be done to a mix with Live than with 2 turntables, the mix could've used more Live trickery, more cuts, more blending of tracks. Then again, that kind of production flash might not fit in a mellow mix like that.

Cheers and thanks for sharing! 8)
Great, constructive criticism is what we need. :wink: I will however say in my defence that the mix was used to gain experience with Abelton. I had in the back of my mind that this would be an imaginary first hour of a 4 hour set that would deliberately pick up the pace and move to a more lively dance mix (which is the next mix to follow on from this one).

I know there's more trickery I could employ but I'm just a new user and still experimenting and on that steep learning curve. Also, using the same mix all the time can easily get you into a repetative rut, so, I decide to stop there and move on to the next big thing. :D

Cheers and thanks for listening. :D
Les

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:00 pm

Nah man, you don't have to use trickery at all with tunes like those. A lot of times I think people start messing about just cause they can, not cause they should. It can disrupt the flow of a really good song if you're not erring on the conservative side of things.

Just my opinion though.

Rx

Post by Rx » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:17 pm

only 12 min into your mix but really enjoying it...
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:20 pm

Soulman wrote:I know there's more trickery I could employ but I'm just a new user and still experimenting and on that steep learning curve.
I'm in the same boat but been an Ableton addict since Live 3. I've been working on putting together mixes but haven't finished one yet, let alone put one out on the web.

The most I've done is a mix of Soul and Disco tunes (Stevie Winder, Curtis Mayfield, etc) over a 4/4 Kick Snare, a practice in cutting, warping and PCDJing. I learned a lot and it came out well but it's still a pretty straightforward mix. I'm thinking my next mix will be a hip hop mix with more cuts, more trickery... the next level.

Maybe we'd learn faster if Live wasn't so much fun to just play with!