m-audio firewire 410 problems, it hangs Live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
bcomnes

m-audio firewire 410 problems, it hangs Live

Post by bcomnes » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:58 pm

I have a IBM T-23 PIII laptop and I am trying to use a M-audio Firewire 410 interface with an HP 4 port combo card. It hangs Live, FruityLoops and Winamp.

The same computer card combo supports my old USB Quattro interface just fine. and the 410 works great on several P4 laptops, I have done the tuning at MusicXP.net and I am working with M-audio tech support, but the problem is not going away.....

Anybody else have similar issues on a PIII lap with the 410? thanks in advance
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If it's too LOUD, you're too OLD

cosmosuave

Post by cosmosuave » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:56 pm

Does this happen when the laptop fan comes on?
MD SPS-1 DARKENERGY JX-3P (PG200) Mbase01
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave
http://www.cosmosuave.com/

bcomnes

the fan does not play part in this problem

Post by bcomnes » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:13 am

It's not like it works for a while and thengoes South , the 410 when installed allows Live to act normal until you hit the play button or preview a clip....nada happens, the clock never starts, just sits there ....Live still functions in other ways, you can open clips and move them in an out, change preferences , etc. but whenever you hit the play button, nothin, same with fruityloops and Winamp but those are off topic

mexique1

Post by mexique1 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:03 pm

are you runnin winxp sp2 ?
if you are, install the latest firewire family drivers
if not, install the older version

and get the firewire patch for winxp sp2

and what's the chipset of your fw combo card ? some chipsets don't work...
RS7000 >> Live 4.1.4 >> Virus B
Desktop : Win XP Pro SP1, E-MU 1212M
Laptop : Win XP Pro SP2, M-Audio FW410

bcomnes

thanks and here's some more info

Post by bcomnes » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:02 pm

i have XP SP2 and I am current on WIN updates, the fw drivers came with the HP combo card, I went to the www.microinv.com/hp site and they don't list any updates.....are there MS files I should be seeking as well, i.e what is the "firewire patch for winxp sp2" you mentioned??

as for the chip set, well its not like a PCI card where you can see the chips... PC cards are a closed package and I have been all over the Internet looking for the specs on the chips....maybe I'll just send an Email and ask, thanks for the reminder....I also have a SYBA 2.0 FW/USB combo card and it has all the same issues, I may trade in the HP for the CompUSA branded combo, since I still have a few days left on that....

oh and by the way , thanks very much for taking the time to respond...I appreciate it

VIM

Post by VIM » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:43 pm

Hi

I met some problem with my FW410 and a new Inspiron 9200 (1Go RAM). I have been trying to record something for 2 weeks : no succes for it freezes a few second after start. (I use a guitar podxt connected with the spdif entry of the card). I wrote a few mails to M-audio, their only response is "change IRQ"!! I think things are weird and I can't really incriminate the laptop..

I've been told that I should add a PCMCIA IEEE card and connect the m-audio 410 to it...because IEEE conrolers on laptop's motherboards had weird behaviors
I bought a PCMCIA IEEE card (Belkon)79 Euros with 3 six pins IEEE ports.
So far it works!!!
(though the pcmcia controler is on IRQ 11, witch is the "come on to the party" IRQ of my "ACPI/WinXP" Dell (IRQ11 = Graphic + 4xUSB + network card + pcmcia)...
My conclusions :
1) The M-audio guys are wrong and if I'd done what they advised me, I'd reformated My HD and reinstalled WinXp in "PC Standard config", and spend a lot of time in deep tunning. I think XP can manage IRQs.
2) The Dell guys don't dare to say that there might be problems with the IEEE controler.

Hope this helps...
Kind regards
Vincent
MacBook - Line6 PodXT Pro - Toneport

bcomnes

thanks and some comments

Post by bcomnes » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:53 am

well I have to say that going to www.musicxp.net is the first thing to do., but be aware that by doing so you are really in the DAW camp, i.e. if you have other important things from your life on your computer, think twice before you turn off system restart points, etc

As for the IRQs a lot of laptop OS's auto assign them and the problew with a PCMCIA or PC Card is that they often take 4 devices just to get to the fw 410 which makes it number 5 ont the same IRQ

there is the PC Card Bus, the USB hub, the 1394 driver , the chip on the PC Card, possibly an ALi driver and THEN comes the fw410

in other words there is a minimum of devices that HAVE to share the same IRQ cause they are all enabled when you stick in the PC Card, the best you can do is turn off things like infrared mouse, COM ports and the Internet Card - yep I run mine disconnected from the net cause I have aqnti-Virus turned off for performance

I have decided to return my HP card and get a Belkin while I still can at CompUSA

thanks for the advice

bcomnes

Problem is now fixed - I bought BELKIN F5U513 3 port FW card

Post by bcomnes » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:58 am

went in like soft buttah

all is well now, VERDICT = stay away from SYBA and HP FW combo cards with a PIII laptop and the FW 410

the BELKIN has the TI chipset