Free Skins 10/1/05 pearsonart

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:14 pm

sqook wrote:Oh, and one more request... do you think you could just put up a zipfile of all the skins? Some browsers add a ".txt" extension to the download because it's an unknown file type, and plus, I think that everyone here is going to download all 26 of them anyways. :)
2nd vote for the zip

help us lazy folks out

philippe n

Post by philippe n » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:56 pm

thank you for these new skins!
it's so cool and i'll work better!
Win xp sp2, asus a8n-e, amd 3500+, 2g ram, Line6 Toneport ux2, live 7, Ozone3

pearsonart.com

Post by pearsonart.com » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:03 pm

Hi and you're welcome.

I've done a few more since, trying to improve on the dumb version 5 default green that pops up in nearly all the skins. I've made a little progress but can't say I actually know what I'm doing - still mostly trial and error. :)

I'd be glad to combine all the skins into one compressed download. Can pc users open a .sit? It's been 6 years since I've spend any time on a pc so I'm not sure.

Best,
James

raapie

Post by raapie » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:22 pm

I like those. Very nice work!
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:27 pm

pearsonart.com wrote:I'd be glad to combine all the skins into one compressed download. Can pc users open a .sit? It's been 6 years since I've spend any time on a pc so I'm not sure.
.zip is the standard compression format... .sit is not supported natively by xp, iirc.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

pearsonart.com

Post by pearsonart.com » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:32 pm

Thanks. That's more or less what I thought - that the sit won't open natively in xp.

Does anyone want to recommend a freeware zip compression app for the mac, OS 10.3.9? I suppose I'll look in stuffit to see if it compresses as zip files too. Silly but I've never had to do it before. Decompress sure but not compress.

Probably easier to handle this on my end than to ask pc users to find a conversion app from sit to zip. Glad the skins work ok though.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow, going to the drive in with my family for the night.

continuous

Post by continuous » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:23 am

I really like your abstracts!

And thanx for the skins.

Oh ya to make zips in OS X just right click on the file (or hold down control and click) while selecting the file...choose "Create Archive of " your file name here" from the pop up. I see you are on Panther and I'm on Tiger but I think it's there in Panther. If not I'm pretty sure Panther has a built in archive/compressor that does zips. Oh ya stuffit will do it too.

cheers

pearsonart.com

Post by pearsonart.com » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:16 am

Thank you... for the compliment and the solution. Just the kind of detailed response I hoped for but one never knows what to expect on a forum. Sure enough, right click and there it is, an option for archive that I'd never used. I admit I still don't seem to know my way around OS X as much as I did 9. :)

Thanks again.

I'll try to organize all the skins, upload and post the address in the next couple of days.

Saw "Elizabethtown' at the drive-in with my wife and girls. Liked it a lot but I'm a little biased. I grew up there...going to the drive-in, among other things.

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:52 pm

Do the skins work with Live 5?
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

skiptracer

Post by skiptracer » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:55 pm

the only skins i can use are the default ones. every single other one seems completely ridiculous to me. even the ones Pearson made.

this is what i want from skins:

a black and white one
a completely grey one
more simple ones with mostly grey used and different color highlights.

in general i find the skins too saturated or too dark.

pearsonart.com

Post by pearsonart.com » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:01 pm

Yes. That is, as well as Live's own built in skins do.

For some reason, Ableton have made the default highlight color for older skins green. I suppose going back through the older skin codes and updating them is a low priority. The new skins premiering with live 5 (desert for example) seem to have a highlight color that's complimentary to the rest of the theme.

All of the skins available at the link work in Live 4 and 5. As I mentioned in the first post, I think they look better in 4.

Some of the new skins I edited a few weeks ago actually replace the green default in Live 5. Unfortunatly, the color choices are limited to code I've been able to paste from other compatible themes. I meant to do more work on them but lost track when I got busy painting a new commission and work for a show in Nashville. I'll put those new(er) skins up soon, possibly today if I have the chance.

pearsonart.com

Post by pearsonart.com » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:11 pm

I've tried to make a black and white or offwhite one. It's the main reason I started playing around with the skins to start with.

My favorite older default skins were the default and barrett in version 1.1. I also liked graphite in version 3. Unfortunately, those skins don't port to 5 without the green highlight. Of the newer ones, I like desert and portifino lately.

I'm doing my best. If anyone wants to jump in and show me how to edit the xml properly, I'm all ears. Better yet, maybe someone else will get motivated to customize some skins and post them. All it takes is some effort.

Meanwhile, if you're looking for a more nuetral palette and you're on a mac, you could try the greyscale setting under sys prefs/universal access. Not a good solution as you lose all your highlight colors.

pearsonart.com

Post by pearsonart.com » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:23 pm

Updated 12/14/05.

Sorry for the delay. This is the busiest time of the year for me.

I've updated the page. All the skins have been compressed as a single archive download from my music page. Scroll to the bottom. There are a few new ones as well - just mods on version 5 skins to replace the green default for the selected property panel with something else.

www.pearsonart.com/pmusic.html

Merry Christmas everyone.

James

pearsonart.com

Post by pearsonart.com » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:17 pm

By the way, I'm glad to share what I've learned if anyone is interested in continuing.

I'm sure I'll play with the ask skin files more at a later date but this updated page will probably be the last for a while.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:44 am

James, are these L5 compatible?
Image Image