Keeping note's on your sets.

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
hoffman2k

Keeping note's on your sets.

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:08 am

This method will not allow you to put a note on anything you want. And i am talking about written note's here. Not musical notes.

You can't even write the note's in Live 4 itself.
But you can do it in a simple text editor. Because in the end, that's what it's made for.

How to keep note's

Make a new folder and give it any name you want . Inside that folder you make another folder with the same name as the Live project you wish to keep note's on. And add "Lessons" to the end. Like this:
"My project Lessons".

Now either put your Live .als file in the first folder. Or make a copy of it and put it there. Including samples if the set was self-contained.

Make an empty .txt file in the "my project Lessons" folder. Save it as "LessonsEN.txt"

Now if you go back to the previous folder and double click on your Live set. When it starts up you will have an empty sheet on the right. You can hide it by going to the menu "view" and choose lesson.

Editing the .txt file

This uses simple syntax
To make a page with a title. Type: "$Page your title here"
To display something in bold, you type it like this: /this will be bold/
Every time you save the .txt file and go back to Live, the info will be updated. You do not need to save anything to that Live set. This is a non-destructive method. If you wish to remove the lesson. just delete the "My project Lessons" folder with the text file in it.

If you want to include picture's. You will have to save them as .tif file's. And they have to be ibm (intel) encoded.
On mac you can convert any picture with the included app called "graphic converter"
On windows there shouldn't be any problems neither, figuring it's a windows format.

To include these picture's in your set. First throw them in the "my project Lessons" folder.
If you go back to your .txt file and type the name (example: figure1.tif) and save it. It will show up in your Lesson view.

Cheers
Last edited by hoffman2k on Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:35 pm

Cool!

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:08 pm

now that's a nice bit of kung fu!

<applause> 8)

mag

Post by mag » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:35 pm

thx :)
Mag

blakejarrell

Post by blakejarrell » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:36 pm

for some reason this doesnt work for me, im not sure what im doing wrong. can you only do this in live 5? im using 4

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:39 pm

This tip was written for Live 4. Should work.

tripboxer

cool!

Post by tripboxer » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:52 pm

very useful! thanx! great to remember my remote assignments :))

"$Page" creates a new page

"->" puts a little dot at the beginning of a line. very useful for listings...

"$Link" creates hyperlink (can also be used as underline function..)

and funny: "$0" will display the word "Live" in the text ;)

thanx again,

:P

michael

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:51 pm

There's also a vst that lets you write notes in a mini wordprocessor. Search on kvr.

init

Post by init » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:41 am

I only found a dx plugin. If you know any more about the vst one, please post!

I am actually considering to suggest a whole new concept for this purpose to Ableton. i am thinking of a new surface for the arrangement with a reduced selection of items.
Like you would see all the locators and clips and you could create little buttons that open up freely resizable textz fields at arbitrary spots.
Also, it'd be great to be able to relocate clips and have that reflected in the actual arrangement view.
I am really having a bit of a problem editing long projects, like 30 minutes and more, it's hard to maintain an overview there. Another problem in that respect is the poor reflection of times. I don'T really care any much about what beat I am at, my orientatin works with times. I really love the way this is reflected in Soundforge. There you can always see data like the total length of the project, cursor position, start/end/duration of the selection in the bottom right corner. Helps me alot.

For now I'm gonna see what the above posted method holds.

greetinx.

init

basetwo

Working in Live 5.0x?

Post by basetwo » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:20 am

Hello,

I just tried this tip with Live 5.03 and I keep getting an error when loading the .als file I've tied the lessons file to. If I remove all text from the lessons file, then it comes up with the window, but instead of being blank it has a list of lessons available.

I'd rather use this approach than the vst thing because I'd like the notes for cues in a drama/play to be part of the interface.
The question is not whether or not you are influenced, but rather what it is that influences you.
-----
Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939/AMD 64
Seagate 80Gb/Samsung 120Gb SATA
1GB RAM/Delta 66/Firebox
32bit WinXP

Zettt

Post by Zettt » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:30 pm

How can the $Link be ended? once i "opened" it with $Link every text behind it is displayed as a Link.

Thanks in advance.

friend_kami

Re: Keeping note's on your sets.

Post by friend_kami » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:18 pm

so uh. i was looking at this the other day because i recently went dual screen with live and i realized that i have alot of space for things such as the lessons etc.

so, i want to make a default lesson that pops up like the..uh..default lessons, only that it has links to certain places such as devices etc.

anyone know how to do that, or should i just start digging hard in the lessons folders?

nordmach

Post by nordmach » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:02 pm

Has anyone figured out a way to do something like this in LIVE 8?
Mac Intel Core 2 Duo 17" MacBook Pro, 2.33 Ghz, 3GB ram-OSX 10.6.6
Live version: Live 8

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:25 am

nordmach wrote:Has anyone figured out a way to do something like this in LIVE 8?
its the same thing.