Dr. Dre West Coast Sound

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
andrewj

Post by andrewj » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:06 pm

I believe the MiniMoog was popular with Dr. Dre (this was before Triton (1997?), VSTi, etc...of course).
right, but do you know that the SE Synths like the atc and his brothers use nearly the same filters!? Think today at least half of the famous rnb and hiphop leads are built with these things! they sound phenomenal!

the minimog would be grat if affordable, but if you have ths much of money, perhaps you should invest into high-end outboards (compressor, eq) to get the original fat sound you now from the big ones.

olafmol

Post by olafmol » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:23 am

funk313 wrote:
olafmol wrote:afaik these are either minimoogs or arp oddesseys (f.e. funky worm by ohio players and summer maddness by EW&F)

Olaf
shit olaf Summer Madness is by Kool & the Gang..the best version is the live version.
wooops!!! :oops:

quandry

Post by quandry » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:41 pm

probably not what he used, but the Korg MS-2000 has many a "gansta" patch ready to go. but I guess the main point of all these answers is that it is fairly easy to create on oscillator based synthesizers, with varying degrees of sucess and phatness based on the keyboard used (moog being at or near the tops for that).
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

lola

Post by lola » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:51 pm

Hardware is the key, Moog is the name.

Beats = mpc
Mix = SSl
And a lot of fancy outboard equip.

And ofcourse Dr Dre himself behind the knobs.

His tracks sound phat!

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:30 pm

if you dont have 3 grand for a minimoog (or whatever amount they cost now)...I think most any analog subtractive monosynth VSTi could get fairly close...

funk313

Post by funk313 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:12 pm

anyways fo all yall funk synthbass freax out there u should and must check out
the name Bernie Worrel - if it wasnt for this prodigy superstar of pure and uncut
FUNK - well there simply wouldnt be no dre snoop cube whatever..bernie was the main keyboard playa in funkadelic, parliament and also did a thing or two with talking heads. He was the one who conceptualized the use of synthezised funkatized
basslines... bernie also made sum solo albums - but they kinda suck..
one of his most outstanding trax is Atmosphere a clasiccal funk epic into the deep space void..otherwise check all parliafunkadelic trax.. and not mention all trax by ZAPP and Roger Troutman too..I juz had to mention all a this cuz sum of yall new cats out there has to understand that it wasnt dre and westcoast hip hop who started this shit. shure its fat as a mfka but holy shit knows where they got it from smell ma finga.. btw dont underestimate the power of true funk "its not what u play but the way u play it that funks" 8)

el sangrios

Post by el sangrios » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:23 pm

Arp Odyssey,

G-media do the 'oddity' a replica vsti which sounds ok.

But yeah.. what funk313 said!

lola

Post by lola » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:05 pm

funk313 wrote:anyways fo all yall funk synthbass freax out there u should and must check out
the name Bernie Worrel - if it wasnt for this prodigy superstar of pure and uncut
FUNK - well there simply wouldnt be no dre snoop cube whatever..bernie was the main keyboard playa in funkadelic, parliament and also did a thing or two with talking heads. He was the one who conceptualized the use of synthezised funkatized
basslines... bernie also made sum solo albums - but they kinda suck..
one of his most outstanding trax is Atmosphere a clasiccal funk epic into the deep space void..otherwise check all parliafunkadelic trax.. and not mention all trax by ZAPP and Roger Troutman too..I juz had to mention all a this cuz sum of yall new cats out there has to understand that it wasnt dre and westcoast hip hop who started this shit. shure its fat as a mfka but holy shit knows where they got it from smell ma finga.. btw dont underestimate the power of true funk "its not what u play but the way u play it that funks" 8)
Not to forget the ohio players, herbie hancock

quandry

Post by quandry » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:21 pm

or stevie wonder from the seventies, and
grant green
ramsey lewis
groove holmes
ronnie laws
donald byrd
billy cobham
george duke
the crusaders
james brown
earth wind and fire
grover washington Jr.
harvey mason
isley brothers
chuck rainey
idris muhammed
bernard purdie
barry white

funky funky funk
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

EARLGREY

Post by EARLGREY » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:34 pm

& the meters, THE Meters, THE METERS !!!!!

lola

Post by lola » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:36 pm

Mandrilllllllllllllllllllllll

funk313

Post by funk313 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:11 am

Oh yeah baby funkateers Unite.. :D
to continue the list.. from a synthtasized funkatized bassline perspective..

Kleeer (intimate connection & tonight)

The Time aka Morris Day & the Time aka produced by Prince (give it up, the stick, jungle love, the bird, etc.

Midnight Starr (no parking on the dance floor, joystick etc.)

Rick James (cold blooded)

Bootsy Colllins (every funkn thang Bootsy made)

Mtume (juice fruit album)

Yaghen Mason (Bounce Rock Skate Roll)

Rodney Hudson (westcoast pop lock)

One Way (Cutie Pie album)

Dazz Band (Let it whip)

Hot Streak (body work)

Bar-Kays (freakshow on the dancefloor)

Isley Brothers (between the sheets)

..and my all time favorites One nation under a groove & not just (knee deep) by
Funkadelic

please continue list..
8)

mdb

Post by mdb » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:55 am

The Albino synth. Period.

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:54 am

How can you say Bar-Kays without mentioning Holy Ghost?

I've gotten good Bernie/Dre-ish high whiny leads by cranking nasty analog-style bass patches 4 or 5 octaves up & adding lots of portamento & some distortion. Another big part of the Dre sound is the heavy quasi-classical minor key melodies & harmonies he ripped from George & Bernie, too. Don't be afraid of the sixth & the ninth. Dre also is known to tweak gates all day to keep his tracks fresh & clean.

"Atmosphere" is some stoned-out shit. I'm trying to remember the rap in the background - "I hate the word pussy, it sounds awful squishy" and all that.

My personal definitive Bernie track after "Flashlight" is "A Joyful Process."

yourmom

Post by yourmom » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:30 am

oscillating filter on a moog....

or a simple sine wave pitched way up will do too.