What's the best G5 powermac for the money? Please?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
udp

Post by udp » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:46 pm

having once been $15,000 in debt, I can tell you it is indeed a wonderful feeling getting out of debt. :D Congratulations and Happy Birthday smutek!
OS X.5 MacBook Core 2Duo 2.2ghz, 2Gig RAM Mackie Onyx 400F m-audio BX8's, Oxygen 8, Zoom H-4, Alesis Masterlink, Bitstream 3x
http://www.udpmusic.com

koranek

Post by koranek » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:04 pm

We kind of got off of the subject.

If you are thinking about going with the new dual core machines, also remember to think about whether you are going to use any audio boards. The new machines are using PCI Express slots and if you have any older PCI or PCIx boards you'll be out of luck -- they won't work at all. If you made a big investment in PCI boards, the new machines have this hidden expense. That's one of the reasons Apple hasn't completely gotten rid of their dual processor machines. I heard that they were going to keep the 2.7Gig machine around for a while for people who need more conventional PCI support.
https://soundcloud.com/johnkoranek

2020 27" iMac i9 10 core, 64G Ram, OS 10.15.7
Push 2
Novation SL MKIII
iConnectAudio 2+, iConnectMidi 4+
Live 11 Sweet

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:28 pm

i have a used pair of KRK passive rokit 6 inch
if your interested..

nice speakers i just have differnt monitors now

inis

Post by inis » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:45 pm

koranek wrote:We kind of got off of the subject.

If you are thinking about going with the new dual core machines, also remember to think about whether you are going to use any audio boards. The new machines are using PCI Express slots and if you have any older PCI or PCIx boards you'll be out of luck -- they won't work at all. If you made a big investment in PCI boards, the new machines have this hidden expense. That's one of the reasons Apple hasn't completely gotten rid of their dual processor machines. I heard that they were going to keep the 2.7Gig machine around for a while for people who need more conventional PCI support.
I dont know what you mean by "keeping them around" and "havnt gotten rid of the dual processor machines". They absolutely arent keeping anything around. They are just selling out what they have left in stock, which is what almost every company in the world does with every product that is followed up by a more superior one. In fact, Europe was dry on most apple hardware before this new release, so honestly, i dont think apple has any intention of watching out for the old PCI users. Otherwise, they wouldnt step on the toes of people with old iPod accessories like the remote, by not building the same small port next to the headphone jack in this new installment of iPods.

And im a mac owner, so im in no way trying to diss them. Old people without PCI-X are just going to have to live with it, or by new gear if they get a new computer. Just like everyone in the world. Its called progress.

xl5

Post by xl5 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:53 am

inis wrote:
koranek wrote:We kind of got off of the subject.

I dont know what you mean by "keeping them around" and "havnt gotten rid of the dual processor machines". They absolutely arent keeping anything around. They are just selling out what they have left in stock, which is what almost every company in the world does with every product that is followed up by a more superior one. In fact, Europe was dry on most apple hardware before this new release, so honestly, i dont think apple has any intention of watching out for the old PCI users. Otherwise, they wouldnt step on the toes of people with old iPod accessories like the remote, by not building the same small port next to the headphone jack in this new installment of iPods.

And im a mac owner, so im in no way trying to diss them. Old people without PCI-X are just going to have to live with it, or by new gear if they get a new computer. Just like everyone in the world. Its called progress.
I am all for progress myself but the reality of things is (and that's what I think koranek meant) that at this time there are NO PCIe audio card on the market, NONE. I read somewhere that Digidesign are going to make their HD line PCIe soon BUT that's not exactly an affordable solution. So if you are going to make music with you're new dual core, for the moment, you will have to go for a Firewire Interface.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:00 am

Isn't there a PCI to PCIe adaptor?
Image Image

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:23 am

Aloha Smutek,
Well I am a mac head. I have an imac g5, but my employer who is a fine artist has a dual 2.0 g5 with 2 gigs of ram and it will handle anything we thow at it. He works on big files in photoshop (300 dpi - 48" x 48" and up) Currently i am making a documentary about him with final cut pro and using mostly his computer to do it on and no worries. So if you are using this mostly for your graphic work go with the 2.0 with the 2 gigs of ram. that is more than enough. If it were me though I would get the 2.3 or 2.5 just to feel better knowing I haD that extra power.
peace
d das

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:17 pm

polyslax wrote:Isn't there a PCI to PCIe adaptor?
yes there is, and it costs about as much as a new iMac G5.

xl5

Post by xl5 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:34 pm

And maybe apple isn't "keeping around" the dual 2.7 PCIx machines. BUT in the past when a new uprgaded machine came around the old one disappeared of the online shop. It's the first time to my knowledge that Apple makes an older machine avaiable after introducing a new line of processors. And yes, Apple was probably not sure if the people who invested thousands in PCI cards (audio or video) only months ago would throw them away just like that. I wouldn't. I know their will be PCIe audio cards available at some point (but apart from Digidesign, not a single annoncement yet) but it won't be a sign of progress for sure, as audio won't benefit from PCIe. Video will but not audio. The human ear is not as discriminating as the human eye. But unfortunatly, at one point, we'll all have to throw away our perfectly capable PCI 24/192 cards for a brand new PCIe card but we won't ear a difference. But if that's what you meant by progess, then we are progessing, yes.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:37 pm

xl5 wrote:And maybe apple isn't "keeping around" the dual 2.7 PCIx machines. BUT in the past when a new uprgaded machine came around the old one disappeared of the online shop. It's the first time to my knowledge that Apple makes an older machine avaiable after introducing a new line of processors.
i expect to see alot of those product hold-over during the Intel switch.
its good to have options.

smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:54 pm

Thanks all.

Woot! I'm going to the Apple store today after work. It's gonna be the longest day at work today.......................

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:01 am

:D :D

Went with the Dual Core 2.0 and the 23 inch HD display. Brought it home today, installing software and setting up now!

Man, this monitor is incredible - it is almost overhwelming......

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:04 am

I hope we all look better, now... :D

ishimaru

Post by ishimaru » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:07 am

dude your apple can display this perfectly ... use the systran widget to translate lol

nevermind the website doesn't like japanese text here. So yea .. you got a sweet machine right there. Enjoy!

:)
Every situation(1) should be confronted with its opposite(2) to come to a better situation(3).

1 Thesis
2 Antithesis
3 Synthesis

- Hegel

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:31 am

smutek wrote::D :D

Went with the Dual Core 2.0 and the 23 inch HD display. Brought it home today, installing software and setting up now!

Man, this monitor is incredible - it is almost overhwelming......
pix please, when you get a chance.
Image Image