2 computers swapping files ..what's the best way?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jbo

2 computers swapping files ..what's the best way?

Post by Jbo » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:49 pm

all ideas are much appreciated

xp home

2 desktops working in tandem (sort-of)
kvm switch (allows me to imagine this)
to be able to get files back & forth between the two would be even better at helping me towards seeing that concept
(2 pc's working together in tandem)
thanks and very thanks

pc soundcard xphome AbletonLivev4 midikeyboards China Strat..... Garritan vst instruments ........(midi-me)

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:06 pm

Just set up a shared folder on one of the computers. It is a built in XP feature.

Goseba

Post by Goseba » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:14 pm

Simplist way is probably a cross over LAN cable, thats what I did.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:36 pm

If the machines have wireless cards, you can set up a wireless network and do it that way.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:59 am

two desktops, wireless, most likely not.

use a cat5 cable. XP is pretty Ok with sort of thing.

unless you are like me and have totally crippled your XP by removing dubious services and altering the registry! 8O

Jbo

wonderful response

Post by Jbo » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:44 pm

thank you all for the great response

I am using the crossover ethernet wire to try and get files to exchange places etc..

Can you browse one desktop from the other and then just drag and drop?

or do you have to set up a special folder that can be accessed by each desktop?

or a totally different scenario..

the "act" of actuallydoing this process is my weakest part
I had gotten closer last night and had network places branching off into others etc..

I will get it... thanks everyone..

PS

Oh ,Yeah speaking of the removal of usurping programs and irrelevant processes
I wonder if I might get rid of certain "extra" processes, at least have a profile I use when in "DAW mode" or something like that...
I'll start a thread with some image of my processes....

There are certain ones I wanna turn off, while I am only operating in audio mode and do not need the processes that have to do with internet connectivity and such ......

thanks once again to all
Last edited by Jbo on Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pc soundcard xphome AbletonLivev4 midikeyboards China Strat..... Garritan vst instruments ........(midi-me)

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:56 pm

having a crossover cable is also great for using FX Teleport to chain the two processors for cpu-heavy effects and synths.

RobStrobe

Post by RobStrobe » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:01 pm

a, crosslink cable and create a small network - but can cause pops and clicks while running audio....

b, external harddrive wish can be hotplugged between the 2 systems...

but i prefer the first version..even i always switch off the connection...
* LIVE * 1031 + 1092 * LOGIC PRO 7
* ACCES VIRUS * MOTU 828
* TASCAM M-2600 * Sennheiser,AKG,Sure
http://www.myspace.com/robstrobetracks

Jbo

hey

Post by Jbo » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:51 pm

while I am able to "address" a small but still a group of folks that I would term some "wise, and yet like minded" folks what with the messin with music and abe and all...
How many of you are anxious to see the day when we each have our own webcam and audio talkback system to like sort of "convene" with others who are also set up the same way... like in forums, and such.....
"Virtual lounges" can be imagined in my mind at least... where folks can talk and meet, and of course the risk of arguments always "looms", I suppose......but also the "risk" of excellent communication could be possible and the collaboration is what I am thinking about, as to whether it could happen, using the right fiber optics channels already in existence (if I am not mistaken)
Did, Mcartny do a thing with stevie wonder etc and that other fella? like globally? anybody interested in this subject?

anyway, I have opted to risk talkin my "too much " mode cause I like you guys and bet we could cretae some intersting sounds together..... "if"
If I seem the fool so be it

thanks again for the responses, I'll get it eventually (i am going to do the music I know where to locate)

sqook

Re: hey

Post by sqook » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:25 am

Jbo wrote:How many of you are anxious to see the day when we each have our own webcam and audio talkback system to like sort of "convene" with others who are also set up the same way... like in forums, and such.....
"Virtual lounges" can be imagined in my mind at least... where folks can talk and meet, and of course the risk of arguments always "looms", I suppose......but also the "risk" of excellent communication could be possible and the collaboration is what I am thinking about, as to whether it could happen, using the right fiber optics channels already in existence (if I am not mistaken)
Did, Mcartny do a thing with stevie wonder etc and that other fella? like globally? anybody interested in this subject?
Mac users don't have to wait for that day. :) Ever heard of rendevous and bonjour? (link). I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but it's the closest thing I've seen to auto-detecting LAN's with shared hardware.

Also, just to toss in my $0.02, if you're really serious about low-latency connections for realtime audio, you should set up a TCP/IP connection over firewire. You set it up the same way as you would a crossover cable, but you get 4-8 times faster transfer speeds (depending on whether you have fw400 or fw800 interfaces).