Can't get Digital Performer and 2.1.1 to sync in rewire mode

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Can't get Digital Performer and 2.1.1 to sync in rewire mode

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:46 pm

Am I doing something wrong here? I'm in OSX using DP4. I'm opening DP4 first, as instructed, followed by Live 2.1.1. Sure enough, the L/R Out as well as all the busses are available as inputs in DP. Nothing much seems to happen. I'll set some midi notes to trigger the play and stop features on a particular Live track, then record those notes in DP. I'll play DP to see if those notes produce the desired triggering effect. They don't. I've tried playing Live to see if the audio is going into the DP input as selected. The only thing that happens is DP's cursor starts spinning around in a colored circle and Live's playback cannot be turned off. Since DP seems locked, I'll quit Live which causes DP to crash. I've tried similar methods opening Live first, followed by DP, but DP doesn't read that Live exists.

Incidentally Live 2.1.1 also crashes a hundred percent of the time if DP is open and I change the audio output preference in Live from my MOTU HD192 to the Built-In audio Controller than back to the HD192. But who really cares about that.

Mainly I just want to know if any of you have gotten DP4 and Live 2.1.1 to talk to each other in OSX and if so how? I know I'm not a complete idiot, but I've spent two hours on this bastard to know avail. All ideas, thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

cheers,
jason

jweiss

Post by jweiss » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:23 pm

guest=me

additionally, i have had no problems using Rewire in conjunction with DP4. in fact it was working within thirty seconds of my first go at it. so i know dp's rewire capabilities are fully functional.

i'm confused.

jason

utm

Post by utm » Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:49 am

I'm sorry I don't have any helpful suggestions but I can tell you that that I got Live 2.1.1 and DP 4.01 working real well together. I did a song today with 8 tracks of audio, 8 tracks of Polar loops, files bounced and popped into Live, re-looped, VST effected and lined back into DP on an Aux track. I also used MAS effects on the DP tracks! I didn't have a single problem - and that's saying something for me! I have a single processor G4/500 and the total processor hit never got above 30%

Now I am not using MIDI to trigger anything in Live - I'm just syncing the two apps through ReWire and it works perfectly. Move to a particular measure in the DP Tracks and Live follows. Set up a loop in Live's Arranger and DP loops playback too.

This rocks!

utm

Post by utm » Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:38 pm

Oops - I need to clarify something: VST plug-ins do not work in Live while it is in Rewire Slave mode! They would need to be applied to routed audio tracks in the host application. But everything else still works great!